• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

1.6 Driveshafts, Inner Cup Replacement

pugpete1108

The "recon" short shaft I bought some time ago has a really sh#te inner cup ( leaky )

I have another shaft with a knackered inner joint (bearings all missing) here that has a good oe cup and would like to swap them over.

Is this possible?

welshpug

if its leaky just replace the boot?

if the bearings are all missing from the o.e cup I wouldnt say it was in good condition!

pugpete1108

It's hard to explain but its leaking from the actual metal part as its not a complete unit, not from the boot.

I had previously welded the part that was leaking but obviously I didn't do it properly.

Ill get some pics up which will explain better.

The other shaft had a bad wobble in it which was suspected inner bearings, when I took it apart it was missing only a few needles (slight exaggeration with all) from two of the prongs, other than that there was no damage.

I guess I'll take it apart and clean it up and see.

Should the joint just pull apart?

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

you have probavbly melted the o-ring if you welded it :lol:

just buy a new boot :)

pugpete1108

It's leaking from the other end, where it butts up to the diff casing.

It's like when they reconned it they just sleeved round the cup with metal tubing.

What o ring you talking about?

welshpug

yeah, there's a large o-ring under the metal sleeve just in from where its peened over.

pugpete1108

That's where it's leaking from. So yeah I would have fried the o ring , if it was even there the start with

The other shaft I have is a complete unit with no joins at all ?

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

take a pic!

the sleeve is part of the CV boot, comes with the large o-ring.

I dont think the tripod joint is compatible with the full cup type joint with just a normal boot. I dont understand what you mean by no "joins"

pugpete1108

right basically the one on the left is the 'new' one which was/is leaking grease round the red line, the one on the left is the 'no join' one which is made of one piece of metal as opposed to being sleeved.

i welded around where the red line is frying the o ring which i didnt know existed :lol: and in the process left a load of weld splatter along the bit that the shaft seal fit onto in th diff (hence why my gearbox was leaking oil from the seal)

the right hand one fit alot better in the diff but if they are not interchangable (which i guess not being two different types of shaft?...who knew :ph34r: ) i'll just clean this one up and fill any holes again and see how i get on, not really got anything to loose.

DSCF1733.jpg

DSCF1734.jpg

welshpug

i'd just get a new boot kit, also lose the jubilee clip, bad idea using those on a rotating shaft

pugpete1108

I'm proper confused now???

What does the boot kit come with ? I have welded the metal sleeve on so if this is part of the kit there's no point as I can't remove this one.

What would you suggest instead of a jubilee ? Cable tie? Im not using the crappy metal ones you get in the kits.

welshpug

<p>the sleeve is bonded/crimped to the boot, just grind the welds off.

clips come with the boots, but a cable tie will suffice, crappy metal clips are fine :P

Edited by welshpug

pugpete1108

I'll have a look into it dude, cheers for your patience.

Why did It leak in the first place you think? Just shoddily replaced I guess.

Where can I buy the kits from? Any motor factor or pug only

Tom Fenton

If you have the proper tool, the metal clips are far far superior to anything else.

In the Blue Peter style, here is one I made earlier.

AA87E19C-orig.jpg

welshpug

any decent motorfactor yep.

GSF part number looks to be 450PC017, cross references to 3287 69 and 3287 83

Characteristics

Height 172 mm, Inner Diameter 1 19 mm, Inner Diameter 2 72 mm

fits many 106's as well, so likely to find one in stock, GSF are showing 5 in their heathrow warehouse.

Edited by welshpug

pugpete1108

I'm sure they are Tom but like you say if you have the right tool.....

And I don't :)

welshpug

I don't have the right tool and get along just fine, but as Tom said, does make it a lot easier.

pugpete1108

cheers for that Baz, it all becomes clear now. what a tool i feel :lol: :lol: :lol:

if only i had know about that before i got to happy with the welder.

im worried i will do more damage grinding off the weld so i'll patch it up and if it goes i'll just buy a new one

least i found out why the brand new oil seals were leaking, just hope its not fubared too

further down that page i found this: http://www.talk-torque.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3295 shows it all perfectly clearly.

lives and learns eh, even after all these years of owning a 205

Baz

No worries! And funnily enough that was the link i initially thought of when i searched but didn't find it! :)