• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jaggers12

Dimma With Rotten Rear Arches

jaggers12

hi , was wondering if any of you guys knew if you have to remove the dimma kit to fix the rear arches as my window seals have been leaking for a long time and the arches have been previously fixed with fiberglass so there realy bad now.

thx andy

Henry Yorke

I would consider removing the arches as you don't know what lies beneath. There were some pics once on the forum of a really rotten Dimma in the Netherlands

lewis205cti

Its hard to remove them as the fiberglass cracks round the rear lights and boot lid line. It will also depend on how well the arch was sealed to the quater panel. Good luck mate. :)

jaggers12

thanks for that guys dunno wat i gonna do now then

notamondayfan

I had a Dimma once with the same problem, water getting through a crack by the little fins infront of the spoiler and getting behind the arches. Luckily it didnt cause too much damage, mainly rust rather than rot, but still a pain in the arse to fix. The kit did come off quite easily though with the use of an angle grinder going around the edges such as around the rear windows, making sure that any cuts or such was repairable after of course!

You'll probably also want to check your cills out too, as the water will run down onto these and get between the dimma cill and the car cill and ruin the cills. Again replacing a cill just requires cutting the old one out and replacing it with new, and re-fixing the dimma cill back on top.

See this pic at what was under the kit -

rearBareMetal.jpg

newSill02.jpg

This pic shows how far up the rear quarter the kit goes -

rearPanel.jpg

Hope thats of some use, and good luck!

Kev-G

See this pic at what was under the kit -

rearBareMetal.jpg

This was a Dimma 'factory' fitment?

Similar to (or maybe the same) one I'd seen before....BFH to the rear arches!!

jaggers12

cool thanks for the info, im well out of my depth with any kinda body work so i think i might sell the car :( i dont want to make it worse a scrap it while trying to fix it.

daneldridge23

save up some money and get it fixed by a pro, or find someone that would do it over a period of time for you, there's loads of people about that fix up old sheds in there garage and turn them back into good cars, just have to find the little badgers! :) id offer to take a look but im very busy with my pug!

dan

jaggers12

thing is im saving for a new house so might bw worth me selling it

daneldridge23

cant hurt getting a few quotes can it! doesn't cost any thing! :)