• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Radius Arm Bearing?

scottbarton

Hi all

Can anyone point me in the direction to source an o/s/r radius arm bearing? Mine has been reported with excess play.

Is this part of the rear beam? And if so, is it worth just getting a refurbished beam?

Thanks

Anthony

It won't just be the bearing, I can promise you that much if it's got excessive play in it.

If you're lucky, it'll just be the bearings and shaft, and if you're not, the tube will be ovalled and scrap.

Parts are all available from Peugeot still.

scottbarton

Thanks again Anthony. When you say 'the tube' do you mean the beam?

Anthony

Yes - beam tube, crossmember.... whatever you want to call it, but basically the main tube shaped body of the beam.

scottbarton

On my 'to do' list for this year was to refurbish the rear beam...I guess now is the time to do it then!

Thanks. I guess you can tell I am pretty much a 205 novice......

I found a garage called Retro Revival who offer this service, supply and fit for £375.00, including new bearings, seals, trailing arm shafts - where neccesary, new copper rear brake line sections (beam to brake), and removal and refitting of the suspension beam.

Sound a good deal?

dch1950

These are a good pair of lads (at Retro Revival) but it's not exactly handy for Maidstone.. Equally there are several forum members who can refurbish a beam or supply you with one. I'm sure they will be in touch.

regards

Dave

Miles

Be warned thou and you will find this in search, parts alone will come to more than that so there will be short cut's taken somewhere, When you factor in Beam Mounts, Wheel Bearings, Arm Shafts, Bearing Kit, the parts alone are around that cost so labour for nothing, Hmm

dch1950

Still doesn't mean they can't do the job. I've been there Miles, have you ? (see the forum regs about recommending suppliers)

regards

Dave

welshpug

why would you replace wheel bearings when rebuilding a beam?! unless they're shot of course!

dch1950

A good point WP, but you can't have failed to observe that this lad is a bit green. Yes ! So never the less my original statement holds true. Rick and Joe are good at what they do. Check out the terms and conditions when you get a job done with them. Equally it's a long way from Maidstone to North Warwickshire. Hmmm.! Dave

Edited by dch1950

scottbarton

Thanks for the comments everyone. Really appreciate it. And yes I am 'a lad that is a bit green'...albeit a 37 year old lad! :-)

dch1950

sorry mate - but you said it.The bickering shown here is just trying to be helpful. Surely there is somewhere closer to home for you to get the work done. That was my original point

Dave

stu8v

Also the parts are alot cheaper from the dealer, than say ebay or even on here. Take beam shafts 90 quid on ebay or 75 from the dealer :-)

dch1950

Yes an equally valid point. When I did my beam it was £250 for the basic kit of bits (as per Welshpugs list with pictures). This gentleman has said he's a (mech) novice and is looking for a supplier. The likes of Miles,Jord, Anthony would be more than capable. My mistake was probably not to have named them originally.

regards

Dave

Miles

No I haven't and wouldn't want too as I have no need to.

But I didn't say they couldn't rebuild beams did I, just said if your building one on a exchange basis all these should be new (that's what I do and my preferred way as you never know the history or Mileage of any part). I charge allot more than 85% of other companies out there but I don't use the word Re-con unless I really have.

Factor in the possibly callipers etc it can cost allot, I always let people know the worst case and not hit them with but it needed this as allot of places do, again I'm not saying Retro do this either

There's also IM axles or something I think around Leicester way

Alastairh

A friend of mine has spent thousands at retro revival on completely restoring his 205 16v. Worth every penny. Quality of work was spot on.

Al