• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tjalde^

Guide: How To Replace Heater Fan (Berlingo)

Tjalde^

Hello,

Now I have replaced my heater fan. I went to my local scrappy and looked at different cars, but the Citroen Berlingo (early model) looked almost same. I am sure, other fans could be used. If anybody can get something from this picture it would be great:

6874572475_580edbf70d_b.jpg

You will need this:

- Heater fan (in this case from a Berlingo)

- 2 x 3,5 mm screws with a length of 10-15 mm

- 3 x 4 mm screws with a length of 40 mm

- Spacers (wood of some pipe) 3 x 20 mm

- Dock tape

- Tools

Note: It might be easier if you use the impeller from the original Peugeot fan but I could not get it off.

Here you can see the two fans. They look very simulair:

6874570769_e6b2fba145_b.jpg

6874568739_9161380dac_b.jpg

First you have to remove the two fans from the plastic. Unscrew what you can:

6874574195_16663f9d4f_b.jpg

The two fans are just the same except there are not screw threads in the Berlingo version. You can use the 2 x 3,5 mm screws or make a thread. I used smaller screws:

6874579325_3c53fc15ac_b.jpg

Now it is a little more advanced. I have used the Berlingo impeller, and it is bigger. You can press it in the car, but it will hit in the top. I could not get my own impeller off the original fan, but I am sure it will fit perfectly in, if you could this.

I made 3 spacers to the 3 screws. Each were 20 mm long and I used new screws - 4mm x 40mm:

6874580979_552f33e9c7_b.jpg

Just forget the glue. It did not work. Of course this does not close tight. I made a silly solution with dock tape, but if you have acces to better materials it would be better. I can tell mine is tight though:

6874619835_2f7a5c4731_b.jpg

Result: Silent fan which gives plenty of air.

BlueBolt

Hmmm... Wonder if my 406coupe fan would be a good swap over for this... Will have to have a play with it later this evening when I get home.

I'll take pics and post up in your thread if it does...

(null)

Tjalde^

I have searched a bit now. This fan, I have used, is placed in: Peugeot Partner and 306 + Citroen Berlingo and ZX.

But others might be able to fit as well.

And just for the wire connection: The red wire from the Berlingo fan should be connected with the black wire to the original plug. The black wire from the fan should be connected to the brown wire to the original plug. Otherwise it will suck instead of blow in the cabine.

Edited by Tjalde^

BlueBolt

Liking this one, I'll be sure to use this while I'm playing with my fan later... :)

Edited by BlueBolt

Tjalde^

If you can use you old impeller, it is really easy. Enjoy :)

BlueBolt

I've got a spare at the moment to change over anyway so will do that and play with the one in there at the moment... That way if it doesn't work I haven't lost out lol

(null)

BlueBolt

OK, so I got the fan and motor out of my 406 coupé to try and change that one over or try and work out a way of playing with it into the 205...

3cacb16d.jpg

The fan blades/circle are the same size (good old Peugeot multi using parts)

There are also two bolt holes that are the same size, distance and degree apart::

fb8f93b3.jpg

(Apologies for the dodgy angle)

The problem that I have noticed for starters, is that the bit hole at the rear of the 406 one, which seemed to be also in the same place, has been broken off at some point... I was a little heavy handed when stripping that car apart though :wacko:

The other problem that I have seen, and I think I have the explanation, is that instead of a simple 2 pin plug for power and earth, there is a single black wire, on its own, which I think is the earth (not 100% sure though), and then this::

c225e87c.jpg

This means that there may be a problem with my grand plan...at the moment!! I will not accept depeat yet though, I am going to take it out to the car tomorrow and see if I can work out what does what and see if I can figure a way of getting the fan and motor into the 205!!

The only other thing that I can see being a problem, is that the motor for coupé one is on the side of it::

ed7e8ea4.jpg

This may mean that I have to cancel this plan and move onto another one, but I will keep you posted on how I get on tomorrow, one way or another, I will either be able to tell if this fan can fit into the space without problem or not, and if it will then I will check to see what all the different pins do in the 4plug thingy...

The only reason I can see for it having the multi plug is that the coupé had auto climate control, air con and all that gumph... It was a 1999 D8 (phase 1) v6 SE, meaning it had full leather, climate control, heated seats and so on and so on. I'll have a dig around on the 406coupé forum and see if I can find out what the plugs go to and what they all do before I go out and do my usual "touch it with a live" method lol

Chris

kyepan

Awesome work, keep it up!

Will Eastman

Might be having to put a new one in mine then, keep us posted with how these fair over time.

welshpug

thats not the motor on the side, its the resistor stuff for the variable speed, as its from an a/c car.

more chance of getting a non aircon unit to work.

BlueBolt

more chance of getting a non aircon unit to work.

Had a sneeky feeling as such.

I'll jump on the old forum and see if I can pick one up for cheap enough, it all looked like the bolt holes and everything were in the same places and as such would have been a good swap... Will keep posted about success or failure.