• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jason7579

Fluid (Oil Not Water) In Drivers Footwell

jason7579

Left my car for the weekend as I was using another and went back to it yesterday and there appears to be some kind of oil in the drivers side footwell. It was on top of the car mat right by the centre part where the gear stick is.It is clear oil so I'm assuming it's not engine oil.

I have got a problem with losing power steering fluid and wondered if it is possible for power steering fluid to leak inside the car, I thought all power steering fluid would be contained outside.

I am a bit worried as I did a forum search and noticed someone had brake fluid leaking into the footwell, I will check the levels before I drive home tonight. (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=107305)

Any ideas, or do I need to start pulling the carpet out.

Thanks

Tom Fenton

It sounds like it is brake fluid, leaking down from the master cyl/servo into the car.

I would drive it very cautiously to the nearest place of repair and leave it there until its sorted.

jason7579

Thanks. Is it an easy fix? I'm quite happy with a set of spanners and a bit of free time. Is it likely to just be new o rings or gaskets required or a new master cylinder? If so it looks like a wanted ad will be put up very shortly!

Tom Fenton

New master cylinder, for what they cost, and for how safety critical they are, do not waste your time with a used one.

jason7579

Thanks for the advice, just checked the Haynes and it looks like an easy job so will leave the car where it is until a new one can be sourced.

Just been on GSF website, there are a couple listed does anyone know which I should go for or does it depend what I have on already, I have a 1990 1.9GTI, non ABS

Edited by jason7579

Tom Fenton

It is straightforward enough, if you can soak the unions on the master, and the bleed nipples on all 4 corners of the car (calipers/wheel cylinders) beforehand to give yourself the best chance of doing the job in one hit without issues.

jason7579

Thanks for the help and advice, managed to get the master cylinder replaced yesterdday (got a Bendix replacement from GSF), soaked the unions in WD40 overnight and greased them up about half an hour before starting, the first 2 came undone with no problems but the 2 near the bulkhead required a little force - not as much as I expected though. A nice simple job swapping the Master Cylinder over, was very happy.

Couldn't find a willing or able assistant to help me bleed the brakes so I will be popping to Halfords today to get a 1 person bleeing kit. I have already soaked the bleed nipples on all 4 wheels and managed to undo them all and tighten them back up yesterday, I may replace 1 that was a bit of a pain but the other 3 were fine.

3 questions, first to bleed the system am I correct in thinking that the correct order is passenger side rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front.

Second, in the Haynes it says to rapidly press the brake on servo assisted systems a few times first to break the vacuum, is this for all 4 wheels or just the once? I'm assuming it has to be done for all 4 wheels.

Third can I get a new rubber seal for the brake fluid resevoir cap as mine has perished badly.

Thanks

welshpug

yes you can get a new seal, quite cheap iirc.

usually do the furthest away from the m/c, which would be r/h/r - l/h/r , as the brake lines go across the vehicle, down the exhaust tunnel, around the side of the fuel tank then back across to the right hand rear brake.

Just press down and lift up slowly on the pedal, so you dont suck in any air through the nipple, add some clean fluid to cover the end of the pipe in a clear jar (I use the pipe on its own witha clear glass jar rather than the square white bottle kits)

jason7579

Thanks. Looks like a nice job for the weekend out in the snow!

jason7579

Can anyone let me know the diameter of the reservoir plug seal (0000464407 on servicbox).

Is only £1 but its NFP and I'm passing Hellfrauds on the way home. Servicebox doesn't list the dimensions and I can't find it on Google.