• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
markw

205 Track Car Suspension Set Up

markw

Hi,

i am about to get my cars suspension and tracking set up and while were at it put it on corner weights, what would be a good base setting to start from

Front setup

Bilstein front coilovers

Tein 280lb springs

309 wishbones

KAD eccentric top mounts

Rear set up

Bilstein group A dampers

25mm anti roll bar

23mm torsion bars

SBC negative rear camber kit

looking for front tracking, castor, camber settings and ride height, and on the rear toe and camber settings

the car is to be used for sprints, hills and track days, with occasional road use, tyres it will be on semi slicks (list 1B) or full slicks

when i can afford them

many thanks

Tom Fenton

Front tracking 1mm toe out. Front castor as much as you can get out of the top mounts, it will probably not be enough. Front camber, again will probably not be enough adjustment, I would aim for about 2 degrees. You then need to look at tyre temps to see where to go next. Ride height aim for slightly lower than the rear, do not go too low as unless you correct the steering arm position you will experience bump steer.

Rear, what adjustment have you got, probably not much? Toe is usually dictated by what trailing arms you have? Unless the SBC kit allows you to make adjustments?

To be honest, you will probably find you haven't got enough things to adjust.

markw

Tom,

thanks for the reply,

did you mean 1 degree of toe out on the front,

from memory i think the SBC rear stub axles can give upto 3 degrees of camber on no toe in, or 3 degrees of toe in and no camber,

you simply rotate the stub axle to give somwhere between the two.

Miles

The SBC kit is pretty poor and give's only a in between setting of Camber and Toe (Max around 1 degree), I'd get some proper arm's machined up to suit personally and either some adjustable bottom arms or Neg camber front hub's

Tom Fenton

No, 1mm toe out. 1 degree is a bit much.

Rear toe is one for your personal driving style. No toe in will give a more lively rear end. Lots of toe in will make the car more stable. Different people like different setups.

j_turnell

It's always going to be a compromise because what you do to one setting affects the other so it will be a case of trying to get the best adjustment for camber vs castor on the front and camber vs toe on the back.

Personally I'd go for around 2.5 deg camber and 0min toe and a good amount of castor 4-5 degs.

Back seems like more of a trade off by the sounds of it and as Miles suggested better getting some custom arms if adjustment is very limited.

Either way it will all depend on what adjustment you have.

Corner weights - should be able to balance out the diagonals. Make sure it's done with driver weight on board and if you have an adjustable roll bar this set correctly on compression with no preload.