• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Hydraulic Handbrake Advice Needed.

tdr_1976

Hi,

I've just fitted a brand new hydraulic handbrake assembly in the car, after removing the previous one, which I wasn't happy with and had my doubts that the .625 Willwood Cylinder was working properly, as I wasn't getting the rear brakes to lock up, the mechanical handbrake was much better!

I decided that a clean slate was a good idea, and start all over again with new bits!

I fitted and plumbed in the new setup, and bled the brakes, using my ezbleed and although there is some improvement [very slight] they are no where near locking up as they should.

I'm running a single line from the Master Cylinder to the New Girling .625 Cylinder to the rear wheel cylinder [drum set up] via a T piece.

I've heard that there may be compensator valves built into the the wheel cylinders, if so, is there a work around?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Cheers :)

welshpug

there certainly is a compensating device built into the base model wheel cylinders, there isnt in `1.6 gti due to the separate pressure limiter.

though 1.6 items may not fit as they are girling items instead of bendix, the hole in the backplate may be oval instead of round, it's been a while since taking 205 drums apart to remember the details!

tdr_1976

Thanks for your reply mate, I'm tempted to go the complete 1.6 GTi brake setup route to sort it out once and for all, will they work with the bendix master cylinder though?

Cheers!

welshpug

yup, they all used a bendix mc afaik, its just an MC though, could be an AP - lucas - bosch or whatever, if it fits it works :D

tdr_1976

Spot on!

Where could I find a couple of backplates? I suppose they'll be hard to find, as most use disk conversions now :(

I'm desperate to get the set up sorted.

Cheers!

welshpug

wont be hard, 106+306's used 180mm discs.

welshpug

yeap :lol: