• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
N3VRAM

Steering Rack Question

N3VRAM

Hi guys,

Took my car up to the garage to check the tracking (after hitting a nasty pothole). They told me the tracking couldn't be done because my track rods had too much play in them, and proceeded to try and quote (rob) me for the best part of £200 to get it fixed :blink: . £20 later and i've got myself some new track rods & ends, come to fit them today and it looks like my whole rack is pretty knackared.

Im looking to buy a re-furbed rack, and was wondering if there was any meaningful difference in size between the xs/rallye rack and the gti? the only reason i ask is because theres alot more gti ones presently on ebay and they look the same, and any minute length differance could be made up by asjusting the rod ends?

If anyones got a refurbed steering rack (non PAS) i'd be interested!

thanks, Matt

Edited by N3VRAM

BERTMAN

just put a GTi one on. I think it might have a slightly quicker rack (not sure though) but i doubt you'll notice much of a difference... I swapped to a GTi rack to pass an MOT and didnt really notice

GeorgeXS

All non PAS racks are the same size, i think even 309 ones are but have longer trackrods. the only thing that changes is the spline or square drive attachment to the lower column. All the 205 non PAS racks are 3.8 turns lock to lock, PAS ones are 3.2

pugpete1108

i have a non pas rack from my old shell, not using it since i went over to pas.

was in good nick with no noticable play and passed all mots while using it fine.

will be cheap ;)

N3VRAM

Still looking for a manual steering rack with the flats connection rather than splines. If anyones got one of these going spare i'd be interested, thanks.

Tom Fenton

There is not much to go wrong with it. Strip it and fit a new bush, I am guessing it has suffered the usual problem of the left hand end bush wear.

N3VRAM

Okay, i'm not quite sure how to strip it but i guess if i take it off and have a look. Would this be an acceptable replacement if the bush you mentioned was worn?

also thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by N3VRAM

Paul_13

^ I was just about to post that link for the bushe. I do have a spare square drive steering rack in the shed that felt pretty good, could do with 2 new track arms and rod ends (which you already have) Postage costs and it's yours.

N3VRAM

Thanks Paul, that would be great - i could recon it and just swap the racks round one afternoon that way ^_^

ross009

does anyone have one of the uprated bushes laying around that they could accurately measure o.d the i.d and length?

N3VRAM

Hi Ross,

My matess making one up to fit for the refurb, i'll post the measurements when i know myself.

ross009

Hi Ross,

My matess making one up to fit for the refurb, i'll post the measurements when i know myself.

cheers mate if people want i can blast a few out be cheaper than ab motorsports!!