• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grundyd

Discs Drilled Grooved Or Both?

grundyd

Yah i looked at tarox but so far I find they are a bit of a cost £240 for discs! Can anyone better that?

Edited by grundyd

Cameron

Why didn't you want to go for Brembo discs from GSF?

Batfink

Drilled disc can clog up with brake dust and cause judder. Cheap discs are cheap discs. But good quality grooved discs can help with cooling and dust and gas removal.

Neil

Plain discs are cheap.

All my race customers run plain discs. I've only sold grooved and drilled to road users. When a plain disc is £20 and a fancy one £50-100 its a no brainer

I'm sure in the early days of brake pad development there was a need but modern brake pads simply do not produce the same high levels of dust and gas. I'd bet money you will simply notice increased pad wear, and no improvement of braking.

Batfink

Yah i looked at tarox but so far I find they are a bit of a cost £240 for discs! Can anyone better that?

Brembo plain for £22

Brembo max are £105 but its a lot for a bit of paint, a few grooves and a slightly different iron content.

Cameron

I can tell you my grooved AP rotors ate pads at an alarming rate! I reckon a set of DS2500's would have lasted me 3 track days.

That's the price you pay though.. AP rotors aren't available with plain faces, there must be a reason for that!

welshpug

yeah they expect you to use manly pads made from granite :lol:

Batfink

I can tell you my grooved AP rotors ate pads at an alarming rate! I reckon a set of DS2500's would have lasted me 3 track days.

That's the price you pay though.. AP rotors aren't available with plain faces, there must be a reason for that!

is that with their J hook design?

I've been speaking to a lot of race drivers after brake pads recently. Not many seem to cope with many hours of abuse.

K.

Rippthrough

Might have been overheating the 2500's a bit, they don't fade much but they do wear a lot faster when they get too hot.

Cameron

Possibly, I was hammering round Oulton Park for a whole day.. was so into it I did a 45 minute stint at one point. :lol:

Kev - that's with the 4 groove design.

Rippthrough

Start to wear like feck after about 350*c...

Cameron

But that's in the range of normal operating temps isn't it? AP website says operating bulk temp for their rotors is 400-600DegC!

Are DS2500 just not up to the job as a race pad then? I thought they were supposed to be some of the best! :blink:

stu8v

DS2500 is a fast road pad is it not?

Thought DS3000 was the race pad.

Rippthrough

But that's in the range of normal operating temps isn't it? AP website says operating bulk temp for their rotors is 400-600DegC!

Are DS2500 just not up to the job as a race pad then? I thought they were supposed to be some of the best! :blink:

It's not really a full on race pad apart from for light cars/short sprints/sessions.

Cameron

Fair enough! What's the operating temp like on DS3000 then?

Batfink

DS3000.png

have not found wear rate graph yet

Cameron

That's a nice little chart! :D Where did that come from?

DS1.1 look pretty good! Was wondering about those a few months ago.

Mr_E

When I was rallying I used Carbon Lorraine pads with new plain discs from motor factors.

Always had to replace the discs with the pads as they were both worn out but they were the best setup I found.

I was paying £80 for them both and I was getting 4 or 5 events and some road mileage out of them.

Ive never bothered with drilled or grooved discs, and just use Greenstuff pads on the road car.

205Rallee

Peugeot OE plain vented discs off e-bay (new old stock dirt cheap) and then Pagid RS4-2. Awesome from cold and never managed to fade them yet even with loads of left foot braking. So they cost circa £150 for the pads, but I've managed 3 seasons of sprints, track days and road driving on them and they haven't chewed the discs. Sometimes they squeak and grind in a proper rally car styleee:)

McBoeuf

Sorry, noob here. Everyone seems to be down on the idea of vents / drilled for a road car, but what about a tarmac rally car? I'm looking at GTI6 brakes on 1.9 gti hubs on my 1.6gti (106 gti engine conversion, but 205 gearbox... long story). Anyone have any suggestions for discs / pads for single venue rallies?

Batfink

I don't see why a tarmac rally car is any different. Sod the gti-6 brakes. They are going to be very heavy and will affect your unsprung weight - something that more important when you want chassis control pushing your car to the limit. Get some plain discs, some proper race pads and vent some cool air to the brakes.

CL Brakes, Performance Friction, Ferodo, Pagid etc all make some top notch pads that will work from the moment you press the pedal for the first time. If you go sintered metal pads then you dont even need to bed them in. Slap them on and go!

Kev

welshpug

A tarmac car, depending on the event will have a much harder time on the brakes than a track or road car, however Kev is still right gti6 brakes will be ott, I service for a tarmac rally Saxo with 170 bhp and that runs wilwoods and 285mm discs, and never has any issues at all with the front brakes, usual problem is trying to get enough in the rears for the handbrake to work properly :lol:

Save up for some pug/citroen Spoirt AP's ;)

Batfink

The benefit of aftermarket calipers is they are light..

welshpug

yes, massively so, cup car AP's weigh a third of gti6 brakes!

McBoeuf

Thanks for the help; unfortunately they GTI6 ones were too much of a bargain and i'm after some coilovers too so the brakes had to bite the budget bullet. I'll be thinking more about unsprung weight now kev; it hadn't occurred to me.

I'll be on the lookout for those pug/citroen Spoirt AP's though BWARP.

Now to find a thread about coilovers.....