• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grundyd

Discs Drilled Grooved Or Both?

grundyd

Ok I'm setting up my 205 gti mi16 for a trip to the ring in the summer so what's best and why for the brakes? I have gti6 brakes at the mo but need new discs so is it best to up to drilled or grooved or both and why? Thanks Dave.

Anthony

Neither? I don't personally believe that either of them are needed - a good pair of standard disks will be more than adequate.

Standard disks, uprated pads (something like Ferodo DS2500 or Mintex 1155) and some fresh, decent (DOT5.1, Super DOT4) brake fluid will be more than up to the job in my experience, especially at the 'Ring which isn't as hard on brakes as many UK circuits are IMO

Out of the two I'd have grooved, if for no other reason than they don't tend to crack like cheap drilled disks do.

Tom Fenton

I run plain discs on my track car at the Ring. What I would concentrate on doing is getting some air ducted to the front brakes. This will make more benefit for less cost than any fancy discs in my opinion.

Anthonys comments regarding decent pads and fluid are also very valid.

Although there are long sections of the Ring where you don't use the brakes much, there are also a few bits where you do use them hard, especially down the hill into Breidschied. If you haven't been before you will also be hard on them as you don't know where the circuit is going next so you are driving blind a lot.

grundyd

You say a good standard disc what like a genuine Peugeot or another make?

Tom Fenton

I have had decent results from the Brembo discs sold by GSF.

Batfink

As a trader I recommend all my customers to buy plain discs. There really is no need for grooves and drilled holes with modern performance pads on a road car. They look nice though.

grundyd

This is good as money is like always low lol but want to do all discs and pads befor I go! I have done my sump and had new tyres so far what else would be good to do as I have not been to the ring befor and it's a big learning curve for me.

Tom Fenton

Make sure everything is tip top. The Ring is very very hard on the car. Your driveshafts and boots need to be in A1 condition. Better compound brake pads are a good idea. Make sure all radiator hoses are in good order.

I would also recommend you wear helmets. A lot of folk do not. Personally after a good mate of mine had a big off many years ago at the Ring, my mates and I all made a pact not to drive the Ring without a cage, proper belts, helmets.

The guy in question rolled a Mk1 Golf, standard seats and belts. Luckily he was wearing a helmet. He walked away from the wreck on adrenaline and then collapsed as he had broken something in his back. He spent 7 weeks in Adenau hospital before he was flown home. His helmet had tarmac rash on it from where his head had been skimming down the road. Without the helmet I doubt the result would have been as it was.

I don't want to scare you, I have been 3 times in the last 3 years, I love the place. But please if its your first time, treat it with the respect it demands.

Where are you planning to stay?

grundyd

Yes I do need to do my drive shafts good shout! As for stopping over night I was thinking tent and stop when I see somewhere lol.

grundyd

Ouch! How many miles had they done?

Tom Fenton

I was thinking tent

Not my idea of an enjoyable trip away but each to their own.

Investigate prices, when I was there in Sept we bumped into a lad from Manchester way, he was paying £5 a night less than our B&B cost, to camp. There are some very good value places to stay. Personally after a long day driving the Ring (which is quite hard work) I like to have a shower and then sit round with the lads drinking beer.

• Like 1

stu8v

????

Same happened to my mate on a trackday with his gtfour.

I would never use them.....

grundyd

No I am in to camping and love to do it ! As its just going with just lads not to fussed with a b and b.

grundyd

What pads would all you people use? i have been in to off roading so speed has not been any issue lol.

Tom Fenton

Read what Anthony posted on pg 1.

Rippthrough

What pads would all you people use? i have been in to off roading so speed has not been any issue lol.

Doing the offroading wrong then :ph34r:

grundyd

No i was doing the LRS winch challange for the last 2 years now building another truck so have stoped and have the pug for fun.

Miles

I tend to use either Mintex 1155's or Pagid RS4, the later thou are almost twice the cost but overall they last longer and have a better heat range.

but another Plain or 6 groove maximum here too

Edited by Miles

HERMAN

Drilled disc can clog up with brake dust and cause judder. Cheap discs are cheap discs. But good quality grooved discs can help with cooling and dust and gas removal.

Neil

grundyd

whats a good grooved brake disc i cant find any but EBC at the mo?

Cameron

No I am in to camping and love to do it ! As its just going with just lads not to fussed with a b and b.

Good for you! I prefer camping at the 'Ring to staying in a hotel too. :D

It's a better atmosphere IMO as you can have a good barbecue, a fire and beers. ^_^

grundyd

You can not get better than a good camp fire and seeing the sun come up lol.

christopher

I have no experience of track driving.

However for me safety comes before all else.

On my 405 T16 i have Tarox G88 grooved discs and Pagid RS42 pads.

I went through the bedding in process as correctly as I could and it was totally scary. I was stopping from 100mph to 30mph on the motorway many times. It stops so fast with no hint of fade. And even from cold they work as good as standard pads even on light application.

They are a bit noisy (not squeel but grinding). But it is a Nice Sound.

The Tarox discs are supposed to be heat treated. Not sure if that is a marketing thing or not.

But as I said it stops so fast I worry about spinning or that the guy behind mé cannot!

Miles

Don't look at Ebay, You want Brembo disc's really