• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Tu With 309 Wishbones

burr_2000

Just took off 205 GTI wishbones of my 1.4 rallye and fitted 309 wishbones, now it seems to make a clunk at full lock and only at full lock, sounds like cv joint. i read this thread,

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=132259&hl=309%20wishbones&st=0

Mr Fentons comment has made me a bit worried. i was wondering if anyone else with TU engines/ MA shafts have had this problem or know of a resolve. i dont want to risk wear to my uprated shafts or diff in box. cheers,neil

dcc

the width of the shafts are being stretched beyond theircapabilities. its hit and miss with 205 shafts as to if the 309 bones will chew them or not.

personally I'd refit the 205 wishbones with nice new bushes, which is what will be done to my car eventually!

It will be the cup pulling apart from the shaft part of the constant velocity joint.

Baz

Or fit 309 shafts that mate to an MA box...

burr_2000

ok cheers lads, off with the 309 bones and onto the for sale section!

welshpug

just do as Baz suggested?

BERTMAN

just find a TU powered 309, and take the shafts from that...

burr_2000

i need my zappella uprated shafts, i went through to much standard refurb shafts on the sprints especially in a double entered car!

Sandy

I can understand not wanting to ditch your shafts, but, with the 309 arms all set up right, the front end works much better IMO, you can dance the car on front end grip nicely when it's right.

welshpug

would imagine you'd get on fine being uprated shafts with proper outer CV's, doubt a pair of bars 9mm longer for each side would cost that much if you do want to make them 309 length.

Edited by welshpug

burr_2000

ok sandy, i have another set of 309 gti arms i will measure and compare and see if they vary, 309s are becoming like hens teeth up here Especially GLX,Zest Or Trios.

burr_2000

food for thought, i will make the enquiry about the outer cv

swordfish210

I'm using 309 bones with 205 shafts on a TU engine and they've been fine, no clunking. Have you considered that the shafts were on their way out anyway?

burr_2000

the shafts are pretty much new.

Baz

I'm using 309 bones with 205 shafts on a TU engine and they've been fine, no clunking. Have you considered that the shafts were on their way out anyway?

That's just luck, same as running GTi's with 309 arms/205 shafts.