• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

One Clunk When I Accelerate And One Clunk When I Brake...

shalmaneser

I've recently noticed a strange sound from the front nearside - a clunk when I accelerate, followed by one when I brake. There's no noise coming from the car while I'm driving, just when braking or accelerating. Any ideas what it could be? I'm running gti6 engine with 309 wishbones and shafts, I'm thinking it could be the CV joint failing? Is this the correct assumption, do they make a clunk when they fail? I know normally they just sound noisey when cornering with large steering angles, but this isn't happeneing...

anyone got any other thoughs? Ball joint failing? Wheel bearing gone?

I suppose I'm lucky, the old girl has been bloody faultless for the last year or so...

Daviewonder

What brakes do you have fitted? My 1.6 calipers do this.

johnnyboy666

are the pads all ok? are the sliders that hold the pads in in good condish?

Tom Fenton

Before anything I would have a good spanner check round. If it is a regular clunk it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Baz

Check your subframe bolts.

welshpug

wheelbolts! :ph34r:

eddie bullit

Check engine mounts.

shalmaneser

I fitted a new speedo cable today so now i finally have a working speedo and gave everything a good tighten down... not noticed any clunking since, but it's hard to pinpoint. Noticed my CV joint jubilee clip thing that itsn't a jubilee clip is loose and has been spraying CV grease everywhere so will replace that tomorrow and double check everything.

On another note, got my clock working really nicely by giving the contact a quick clean while the dash was off fitting the speedo cable. Easy job and dead satisfying having all my gauges/clocks working (bar my oil pressure gauge!)

RossD

Also check the bottom balljoint on the wishbone and also check the hole in the hub hasnt ovalled!

S@m

I thought the obvious choice would be wishbone bushes. At least that caused this exact problem on numerous 306's i have worked on. Failing that, something in the same area i.e; balljoint or ovalled hub.

dcc

subframe bolts. happens to me every few weeks/months :D

DamirGTI

Had this situation one time .. was loosen wishbone bushes bolts .

Damir B)

Cameron

This thread made me notice a clunk when I backed off / on the throttle, I checked today and noticed my offside engine mount had come undone and had about a 5mm gap! Very very very glad I checked it out as that wouldn't have been pretty! :lol:

arwel

I have a clunky rattle. Does it at low speeds over slightly uneven ground and when pulling away. Noticed it stops doing it if i put my foot on the brake. Im guessing it is coming from both calipers. It is a rally car and the disc are in need of a change as well as pads. New top mount bushes to go in and had a new wishbone and another ready to go on the other side.

eddie bullit

This thread made me notice a clunk when I backed off / on the throttle, I checked today and noticed my offside engine mount had come undone and had about a 5mm gap! Very very very glad I checked it out as that wouldn't have been pretty! :lol:

Can be worth checking the bottom mount as well as if its fooked or loose will allow the engine to move back and forth..happened on mine a few years back.

shalmaneser

Moral of this story seems to be to tighten everything up!

Cameron

Moral of this story seems to be to tighten everything up!

You'd think so, but sometimes things work loose despite your best efforts. ;)

timmsy19

Someone told me my 6month old Gaz shocks were F'd once due the this knocking described in the OP. I'd replaced the whole lot when putting the shocks in and was positive it wasn't anything fitted recently.

Tightened everything up and hey presto ;)

But yes Cameron is right, best efforts of making sure things are tight they still work loose over time