• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

How Long 'should' It Take To Swap Over Rear Arb?

johnnyboy666

Ive got a brief window of daylight after I get home from work this evening to swap over my rear anti roll bar, which I've never done before. So I'm just looking for a rough timescale, so I dont end up doing it in the dark!

As far as I can tell, its just a case of undo the bolt on one side, remove dust cover plug thing, wind in a bolt till the end plate pops off, go round other side and undo endplate bolt and withdraw through that side.

then fitting is reverse of removal (as mr haynes would say)

is that it or have I missed something?

thanks

John

allanallen

You've got it mate, I slide hammer the arb end plate off but winding a bolt in does the same job. If you've never done it before I reckon about an hour start to finish once you've factored jacking it and getting the wheels off.

Try and fit new arb seals if you can, they're usually knackered.

johnnyboy666

yep, got new seals and nicely painted end plates to go on along with the ARB Ive had for years but never got round to using!

welshpug

start at the drivers/r-h side, the left hand end is the fixed one.

has the new arb got an end plate fitted already?

johnnyboy666

I wasnt aware they were fixed as such? the new one does have one end plate fitted but its not welded on or anything, should it be? Its and ARB and end plate that I originally bought for a car I had a long time ago, so Im trying to recall what the parts are exactly, but its a 24mm arb from (i think) a 106 or saxo or something (there was a thread on it years ago, the one thats a few mm shorter than the 205 item) and the end plates I think are 306 ones to suit the arb

my memory is terrible, but it was some combination like that. I was planning to wind an m8(?) bolt in to hold the end plates on if I remember rightly

welshpug

the left hand side is "fixed" as in its the side that does not get use dto adjust the seal clearance, it is drawn fully onto the splines.

there's also a specific bit of info to align the splines to make fitting far far easier, there's a notch on the end which you align pointing towards the lever securing bolt, with that done the right hand plate will line up perfectly, as long as both trailing arms ride height are set correctly.

its shown in the haynes manual.

johnnyboy666

ah yes that is ringing a bell, I havent got them in front of me at the mo so I'm trying to envisage what you mean. Im sure it will all become clear when I take the old one out and lay it next to the new one :)

Strictly_Derv

Could you try and get some pics of how you fitted the 1.6 bar? I've got one in the garage but I need to geet some 306 plates but havn't had the time.

clen666

Took me ages to remove mine from my 306 as it was seized, still haven't managed to remove the 'fixed' end plate from the ARB to get my new ARB fitted

johnnyboy666

finally got around to doing this today, gave up on the daylight thing and did it by the light of the lamp-post outside my house. Easy as pie, as said above, only problem is, the rubber bushes I had were for the 205 end plates not the 306 ones so they wouldnt fit up to the end of the end plate, they sat further down on the first lip. I thought this would cause a problem, but I test fitted and went for a test drive and all seems ok, just need to get some 306 ones or trim a bit off the 205 ones I guess.

The bar is noticeably shorter, I've read its something like 10mm shorter but I didnt actually measure it.

When I first slid it in from the one side the oposite end plate wouldnt engage the splines, so that demonstrates how much shorter it is. So care must be taken when doing this to make sure the bar has enough splinage in the end plate!

anyway, went for a quick blast and seems to corner very flat now, loads less roll (as you would expect!) but will have a proper go tommorow, Ive attached a photo of the arb against the one that came out. Its a GT so the skinny 16mm against the new one, which I measured at 23.5mm but i suspect 0.5mm is paint lol

post-9599-0-32807000-1327969306_thumb.jpg

Strictly_Derv

I fitted mine last week had a slight issue at first as one end wasn't in enough and popped out but even now. So much better than the 19mm let alone the original Dturbo one I had before which was 16mm like yours I think. I've used the 306 rubber bush things which seem ok in the beam

johnnyboy666

yeah, i think i'll get some 306 ones, when I get the chance!

Strictly_Derv

What torsion bars are you using?