• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikeyk

Big Brake Options?

mikeyk

hi guys im new to this forum and could do with some help. will i be able fit willwood brake callipers with 285mm disks under standard 1.9 gti speedlines. and also is it worth putting on 306 gti6 calipers and disks on instead because i have both and am not sure which to use and havent offerd either up to the car as of yet??

Paul_13

I'm not sure on the Willwood calipers, but the Gti6 calipers deffinately fit under 15" 1.9 wheels :)

Anthony

Wilwoods fit, but on the couple of sets that I've fitted you have needed to shave part of the caliper down as it fouls the inside of the wheel on a 1.9 alloy. Either that, or a thin 2-3mm spacer would do the trick, but I prefer to avoid spacers wherever possible.

GTi-6 calipers fit straight on (except 1.6 hubs) and no problems with wheel clearance, providing the wheel weights haven't been put inside the wheel.

GTi-6 brakes are pretty heavy though, and you normally need slightly longer brake lines as the standard length ones are marginal on full lock.

dcc

What's the purpose of the car?

Most common is the GTI6 upgrade, but they're quite heavy. Is it a 1.6 or 1.9 car? If its 1.6 then neither are going to help until you get some base model hubs, Or, some 1.9 hubs and driveshafts.

Either way, I chose to go for a decent 266mm setup to be able to run 14" wheels if I wanted to.

Paul_13

One thing I have found is my 266mm brake setup won't fit under 14" gti wheels :(

Anthony

Is it a 1.6 or 1.9 car? If its 1.6 then neither are going to help until you get some base model hubs, Or, some 1.9 hubs and driveshafts.

Wilwood did kits for both 1.6 and 1.9's.

mikeyk

cheers people much appreciated, its a 1.9 that im building for a track car/road but with all my preavious cars i have allways gone hi-spec or willwood because of the power they produce. ill try and offer the willwoods on and if not i can use the gti6 setup.

Edited by mikeyk

andyjstone

I've got gti6 callipers at the moment and I do find it a problem finding wheels that don't have weights on the inside as if they do, they don't stay on long!

Got fed up with it so I've just ordered a set of 285mm Hi-spec discs and callipers which 'hopefully' will be lighter and fit better.