• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

306 Shock/spring Options

chipstick

I am after some new supsension on my 205.

I'm currently running standard 205 shocks and springs, and even with the slightly heavier J4RS lump up front, it's still on stilts.

I intend to get the car out on a track only a couple of times, just so I can say I have used it properly but don't need anything super decent as I can't justify the expense for the little use it will get on track. Something ideal for fast road, yet useable on track would be ideal.

I've got a few sets of GTi6 suspension. One low mileage set that doesn't look very old. And another with nearly new standard 306 springs fitted. I was contemplating combining the newer shocks with the newer springs and running those to refresh the old 205 stuff, but imagine it will still be high, and not any stiffer than what I have now - so pointless? I don't want to buy new 205 shocks if I can make the 306 ones work for less, for what I want.

Eibach 7001 springs are liked on here, so I am with open ears to these. I would be putting them on 'old' 205 shocks, so might not get the best out of them. Do the 7001's fit on 306 shocks? Would I be better off focusing on getting some decent springs for my good condition 306 shocks?

johnnyboy666

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on this as ive got a set of gti6 front shocks and a set of eibachs for them, which I was going to stick on mine (when Ive got the springs off the shocks with rounded strut tops)

welshpug

most older pug springs will fit, but 306 ones will be too long and give you epic ride heights.

chipstick

306 GTi6 springs are listed as 7001-120 in the Eibach parts catalogue, so the springs seem to be the same. -30mm

Now it's just a question of does the 306 shock make for a higher ride height than a 205 shock.

I've got a ph1 Xsara VTS that I will break in the next few months and could possibly use bits of this, but for now I am leaving that out the equasion :lol:

allanallen

Stick some 205 7001 springs on your newest 306 shocks with 205 top mounts, job done!

johnnyboy666

i think the eibachs ive got are shorter than standard 205 gti ones, so it may be that they arent 306 ones, will have to check on that when i get in! they are noticably thicker (aka stiffer)

Miles

Dampers have nothing to do with ride height unless there at max travel with the spring fitted which is dangerous anyway,

I'm going to try some std 106 springs on a car of mine at somepoint which maybe a half way house

welshpug

306 GTi6 springs are listed as 7001-120 in the Eibach parts catalogue, so the springs seem to be the same. -30mm

7011 is the 306 part number.

IIRC 7016 is the 106 ones that can be used to good effect on a 205 ( -20mm on a 106)

7001 is used on the lighter engined 106's to drop them a stated 25-35.

standard zx/phase 1 xsara springs will drop a 306 25mm or so, but will still make a 205 a little high.

Edited by welshpug

chipstick

If the 7001 205 springs fit 306 shocks, then I will do that.

Miles, you have a PM about the ones you have for sale.