• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mably

Removing Powder Coat From My Alloys?

Mably

Hi guys

I have just purchased a White 1.6 gti but it has the 1.9 speedline alloy wheels which the previous owner has powder coated black, I love the wheels but hate the Color! I had a quick go at one of them with a wire brush but the paint seems so hard, has anyone else stripped back the paint before? Or is it easier to paint over the top? (I want them White anyway)

Cheers

dirtdog

Have them shot blasted and coated again... you'll have a fun time getting powder coat off with a wire brush haha. I belive it's designed to give a more durable finish..that's why I had mine done anyway. Painting over the top isn't the best idea either.

Just take them to get powdered again.

j_turnell

Frosts sell a solution for stripping powder coat.

mikeyk

you could always heat them up as long as the tyres are off with a propane gun and then just use a wire brush or a scraper of some sort, i have done it to loads of wheels and bits and it works a treat if you dont mind spending a bit of time on them

chipstick

I could blast them for you if you are ever up this way at all.

Anthony

If the wheels are in good condition (and you haven't mullered them with the wire brush!) then why not sell them and buy another set to refurb/paint?

A set of nicely powdercoated wheels will normally sell for a fair bit more than a typical slightly tatty (but fundementally straight/solid) set, so you'll end up with a few quid in your pocket and not have the job of stripping the powdercoat off - a win-win situation.