• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
happygoron

1.9 Outer Cv Joint Replacement

happygoron

Well, my outer constant velocity (full name to aid searches!) joint is knackered!

imag0232va.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I understand this is fairly easy to replace, hub carrier is off so I assume just remove hub nut and it'll swap out?

Even so, where is best to get a replacement? GSF don't seem to stock according to their online catalogue and nore do ECP, the page says it can be ordered but 6 week wait to be expected.

petert

Don't buy new. Find a good original outer CV from a 205, 306, 405, BX, Xantia etc. Give it a reco, fit a new outer boot and you'll never regret it. It's not rocket science, just dirty work.

matty_gti

Easier to a find a replacement 2nd hand shaft that's a known good one. Other than that like petert said, it's one of the messier jobs to sort/recon!.

happygoron

Cheers for the replies.

Am I right in assuning to drop it out of the hub carrier I just undo the hub bolt?

What's involved in reconing them bar new grease (and lots of gloves!)?

Have posted a wanted topic.

welshpug

yup, just need to undo the 35mm nut, good luck!

reconditioning typically involves replacing worn parts, though you can just chuck grease in and a new boot, boot's come with grease and clips.

happygoron

Right, been shopping around and there's a few on ebay advertising themselves as 1.9 outer CVs. However there seems to be 2 different seal diameters quoted.

These two say the seal diameter is 55.7mm

http://www.driveshaftstore.co.uk/index.php?prodid=31215

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-1-9-GTi-1987-1994-OUTER-CV-JOINT-NEW-/150723299566?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2317cf08ee

However this one says it's 54.6mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVESHAFT-CV-JOINT-BEARING-OUTER-PEUGEOT-205-GTI-PARTNER-405-DIESEL-TDL9439-/120803182812?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c206e48dc

I don't have the old one to hand as the car is elsewhere, does anyone know which is correct for a non ABS 1.9?

welshpug

check the inner spline count, abs have more.

happygoron

All three above report 23 inner splines.