• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
erbs

Removal Of Hub/bearings

erbs

how easy is it to get the rear hubs off as i need to replace them with new hub bearings, are they pressed on or do they take a whacking to get off the stub axle?

rear discs is what is on the back

welshpug

they usually just tap off leaving the inner race on the stub pin, this can be knocked off with a chisel usually.

if its being stubborn grind away at it with a grinding disc to make a flat right across it, though not right through to the pin, then few sharp taps will usually crack it and it'll drift off or even pull off by hand.

Anthony

The hub and bearing assembly is one piece on a disk braked rear beam.

Easy enough to remove so long as you've got a hub puller, although part of the inner bearing race often gets stuck on the stub axle.

allanallen

I usually just drive the stub axle right through the bearing/arm untill the bearing comes off in one piece.

The other method with a press obviously requires you to remove the arm,it's literally a 2 minute job with a press though.No twatting/swearing required :D

Edited by allanallen

Anthony

You obviously need to remove the arm to do it in a press, but it's literally a 2 minute job with a press. No twatting/swearing required :D

Whilst I agree that's by far the easiest way of doing it for a beam that's off the car and in known good condition (and assuming you've access to a press, obviously!), it's potentially a whole heap of work and opening a huge can of worms doing it on a car where the beam isn't a known rebuilt item.

It is possible to drive out the stub axle on the car using a lump hammer and an old hub nut to protect the thread and I've done it myself a few times, but there is the risk of damaging the stub axle and if the bearing is being replaced because it's knackered, you might as well just pull it off with a puller and if needs be cut the inner race.

(ah, just seen you've updated your post to cover/imply the 2nd paragraph above)

Edited by Anthony

allanallen

Ha, yeah I read it through after I'd written it and didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking pulling the arm off is the best idea! I certainly wouldn't recommend it on an unknown beam, I just wanted the OP to know all his options.

I've never personally had a problem driving the axle through, I can see how you could balls it up if you were a bit heavy handed though.

erbs

Well that was easy.........got an extractor and they just popped off and of course left the race bearing on the stub axle and so i got my crow bar and got behind the shoulder of the old bearing ans slid

straight off, bearings are never that easy to get off so i was surprised how easy to do

Total time per side 20 minutes.........result!!!!