• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
deryck3

Bilstein (Challenge) Possible Spring Rates

deryck3

I know rough lengths for getting a 106 25mm on 225lb springs. I dont think you can get them lower without the spring dislodging from the spring platform when the suspension is fully extended. I dont know how low a 106 spring will lower a 205 by though to make the comparison.

Ok thanx.

I don't suppose you have a set of 106 and 205 springs in stock that are the same spring rate and claim to lower the cars by the same amount to measure the difference do you

pug_ham

I'd also wondered about the 106 155lb springs from batfink & would have tried them if I wasn't happy with the SBC roadspeed springs after fitting but I'm happy with how the car sits on those so for now won't be changing them.

Pug_ham are those springs for sale

Yes, I'm not going to use them as I found a set of custom (faulkner? ) springs not to long after buying the but as yet also haven't tried yet.

They were used when I got them & the paint isn't perfect but otherwise nothing wrong with them.

I'm sure PLR used to make the 180lb tarmac sprimngs with an approx 1" drop but like Anthony said, they definately used to list a set for gravel & tarmac at standard height & a tarmac with 25mm drop but if you match them to the harder group N / fast road top rubbers you'll get less of a drop.

g

deryck3

How much would you take for them, and where abouts do you live.

If they are cheap enough ill have them although id prefer a higher rate spring but that is easier said than done, I'm sure someone on here must know the free length spring I need.

pug_ham

Dunno, £40 + delivery?

I'm just outside Skipton, north & west yorks border.

The free length will all depend on what spring you start off with but for the standard 205 GTI spring its 330mm iirc.

g

deryck3

I was wanting the free length for a 225lb/in spring so with it being stiffer it will need to be shorter but by how much.

I'll have a think about those springs have you any pics, how much paint is flaking off?

Thanx for your help so far.

pug_ham

Unless someone has 225lb spring then you'll struggle but Faulkner can make a suitable spring from the original spring diamensions with suitable wire thickness etc to give the height & poundage you want but they need several measurements to do this.

I thought I had a pic of them built into my koni struts but after looking it appears not.

I can get a fresh one of them stood free if you want.

g

pug_ham

I found a pic of the PLR springs taken just after i got them;

p1020278l.th.jpg

Condition is the same because I've not used them..

g

deryck3

I found a pic of the PLR springs taken just after i got them;

p1020278l.th.jpg

Condition is the same because I've not used them..

g

Would I be right in saying to run the plr springs then 20mm tb's and 23mm arb would be needed to keep the handling well balanced.

pug_ham
Would I be right in saying to run the plr springs then 20mm tb's and 23mm arb would be needed to keep the handling well balanced.

It'll be a better match but the back might still be a little soft, it's down to personal preference & how you like the car to drive / feel.

I've been running 20mm tb's & a 24mm arb for the last few years with a mixture of front springs but nothing over 150lbs & it's a nice balance.

g

deryck3

Maybe 21mm tb's and 24mm arb then for the 180lb tarmac springs? What's peoples thoughts on this?

Id like the car to have as little oversteer as possible but not to the point its understeering everywhere, just enough lift off over steer to put a grin on your face.

Sorry its hard to describe probably no better off lol