• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
deryck3

Bilstein (Challenge) Possible Spring Rates

deryck3

Hi, after a lot of searching I'm struggling to find what the highest spring rate would be acceptable for the bilstein challenge spec dampers, also I can only find 1 company that sells springs that aren't a fast road lowering spring and that's peter lloyd, IIRC his tarmac spec springs are 180lb. Is there anywhere else that stocks these, I don't really want to get a custom made spring because I woulnt have a clue on what dimensions I'd need and what length.

The car will be used for trackdays and occasional hillclimb/sprints eventually. I'm thinking I maybe should of bought a set of cheap coilovers with adjustable damping as there's a wide range of springs available

Edited by deryck3

Alan_M

I was in the same situation a few yeas ago and the only stockist was Peter Lloyd. I never got on with the PLR tarmac springs and sold them to Anthony. Dunno what hes done with them. Ended up fitting a set of Eibachs instead, great combo IMO.

Another option is to convert the struts to coilovers, then you'll have spring choice aplenty!

Anthony

I never ended up using them, and instead Henry_1.9GTi on here borrowed them off me for a trial... reminds me he's still got them infact!

deryck3

Alan, when you say you couldn't get on with them, what was wrong with them?

I was wanting to run 21mm tb's and 23mm rear arb with 225lb springs, but I just can't find the springs anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

matt.f

Worth giving Coil springs at Sheffield a ring,just see what they say.They sorted my dad out for his 106 rallye

deryck3

Thanx matt.f

What spring rate would be best suited to the dampers?

pug_ham

I've got a second hand set of the PLR tarmac springs here but have also never fitted them, going for the SBC Roadspeed springs instead because the ~1" drop the PLR springs gave didn't sound like the drop I was after.

g

Anthony

I've got a second hand set of the PLR tarmac springs here but have also never fitted them, going for the SBC Roadspeed springs instead because the ~1" drop the PLR springs gave didn't sound like the drop I was after.

If I remember correctly, part of the reason Alan didn't get on with them was that they didn't even lower 1" and sat quite high - not far off standard ride height if I remember, although I'm not sure whether they'd fully settled yet.

deryck3

Well that would suit me as I don't mind the car at standard ride height, would the plr tarmac springs be stiffer than the eibachs.

Pug_ham are those springs for sale

Anthony

Well that would suit me as I don't mind the car at standard ride height, would the plr tarmac springs be stiffer than the eibachs.

Yes. I don't know the exact spring rate for the Eibachs, but I'd hazard a guess they're in the 120lb ballpark.

deryck3

Faulkner make custom springs, but how will I know what free length spring I will need, obviously when the the car is sat on the spring it will compress and I don't want it to look like a monster truck.

And my other issue is what would be the reccomended lb spring to run in the challenge dampers I was aimi.g for 225lb but I'm bothered that this may be to much.

Sorry I know this might all be simple stuff but Its doing my head in.

• Like 1

matt.f

Quite a lot of people who road rally use 180lb PLR Tarmac springs on standard platform struts(challeng/gp n billies)with forest inserts.They are standard ride hight for clearance

welshpug

not sure on the fixed height stuff, but the springs on the group A bilstein height adjustable bodies were 180 gravel 225 tarmac IIRC, not sure on lengths.

Don't forget that these rates were used 20 years ago, dampers and tyres have moved on since, and they were for alloy 8 valve engines.

Edited by welshpug

allanallen

Quite a lot of people who road rally use 180lb PLR Tarmac springs on standard platform struts(challeng/gp n billies)with forest inserts.They are standard ride hight for clearance

The ones PLR list on ebazzle are -1", do they also do standard ride height ones then Matt?

Linky- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-TARMAC-SPRINGS-/260921345657?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc01fc679#ht_500wt_689

Al

deryck3

not sure on the fixed height stuff, but the springs on the group A bilstein height adjustable bodies were 180 gravel 225 tarmac IIRC, not sure on lengths.

Don't forget that these rates were used 20 years ago, dampers and tyres have moved on since, and they were for alloy 8 valve engines.

Thanks, I appriciate that the pts setup is old, but if things have moved on, what have they moved on to?

I am totally new to this and new to owning a 205 I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

My car is a alloy 1600 8v.

If I'm totally honnest I don't have a clue what spring rate would be best suited I just figured the old pts setup would be a decent starting point, and as always I can't afford to just buy 2, 3 evens 4 different suspension setups ok springs aren't too bad but when you add the price of torsion bars it soon adds up.

I'm wanting a good starting point so I can do some trackdays then i can adjust to suit my driving style eventually from there.

Edited by deryck3

Alan_M

I was under the impression that Faulkner do make custom springs, yet only for 2 1/4" coilover struts, not for fixed platform.

As I said before, why not convert your fixed platforms to coilovers?

deryck3

I was under the impression that Faulkner do make custom springs, yet only for 2 1/4" coilover struts, not for fixed platform.

As I said before, why not convert your fixed platforms to coilovers?

On there website it says they can make any size spring you require I'm going to phone them at dinner time and see what they say.

As for converting to coilovers is rather fit a standard size spring as the dampers look nice and shiney in the box.

But I'm still up against the spring rate issue and don't know what the most the dampers could cope with

welshpug

faulkner do standard dia springs, 155lb 1" lower springs for the 106 is popular.

deryck3

So are 106 springs the same as a 205 spring then? And would say a 106 40mm lowering spring lower a 205 40mm?

welshpug

they will fit, but I don't know how much the lowering springs lower by, using the 106 spec Eibach springs on a 205 is popular apparently.

deryck3

Ok spoke to faulkner, they can make me a set of springs no problem.

But I need to give them the open length of the spring.

So how do I work out what length spring I need at 225lb to give a 30mm drop in ride height

The only advise the guy at Faulkner could give was to speak to kamracing, am I right in saying kamracing is a member on this forum.

Edited by deryck3

welshpug

yeah, Batfink :)

deryck3

Thanks welshpug.

Any ideas on the free length ?

Batfink

I know rough lengths for getting a 106 25mm on 225lb springs. I dont think you can get them lower without the spring dislodging from the spring platform when the suspension is fully extended. I dont know how low a 106 spring will lower a 205 by though to make the comparison.