• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris205gtioliver

1.6 Front Caliper Bleeding Nipple`s.

chris205gtioliver

Hi all, I`ve just replaced the solid brake lines on my 1.6 GTi, went to fill it back up with brake fluid and found the nipples on both front caliper`s had been snapped off. Now is it worth trying to remove the thread thats left in and fit new nipples which could end in disaster, or just try bleeding them by removing the flexi hose out the calliper and put the end in a jar or fluid maybe?

They are bendix callipers and i presume the nipples are M7 x 1 if any one can confirm this?

Thanks

johnnyboy666

You can bleed them that way, but it's not gonna solve the problem, and is usually a pain in the arse!

It's probably worth at least attempting to retreive the old nipple, ive heard of people drilling them out with a handle drill (small bit) and then picking the threads out with something curved and pointy

www.biggred.co.uk do replacement nipples, I have used these before and they were good cant remember size off the top of my head

if not stick a wanted ad up

chris205gtioliver

Hammered a torox bit into it and tried turning it out. snap!

Bollox.

May take it off like you suggest and try drilling and picking the thread out, what a pain.

Tom Fenton

Hate to say it, but you have just made the job 10 times more difficult. What I do is drill down the middle of the nipple as central as possible with a 5.5mm drill. The thread is 7 x 1.0 meaning the core size is 6.0mm. So if you get it central with a 5.5 it should leave 0.25mm of wall plus the thread form, which can then usually be carefully either collapsed in and pulled out, or picked out. The trick is not to go too deep drilling, as then you nick the seat in the bottom that the tit on the nipple seals on.

Baz

Or just stick 1.9 calipers straight on it.

pug_ham

You can get stainless M7 x 1 bleed niples on ebay for £2.50 each iirc if you manage to get the old nipple out.

g

Edp

Hate to say it, but you have just made the job 10 times more difficult. What I do is drill down the middle of the nipple as central as possible with a 5.5mm drill. The thread is 7 x 1.0 meaning the core size is 6.0mm. So if you get it central with a 5.5 it should leave 0.25mm of wall plus the thread form, which can then usually be carefully either collapsed in and pulled out, or picked out. The trick is not to go too deep drilling, as then you nick the seat in the bottom that the tit on the nipple seals on.

This, been there done that. Bastard job. I managed one but buggered one other.

dave205

You can get stainless M7 x 1 bleed niples on ebay for £2.50 each iirc if you manage to get the old nipple out.

g

Have you got the item number or link please?

Alan_M

This, been there done that. Bastard job. I managed one but buggered one other.

Yep, I had the same thing on a set of Saxo calipers. The hole for the nipple was offset, so ended up making a jig for a pillar drill. Not sure how the 1.6 calipers are though. A decent selection (0.5mm increments) of good drill bits (not the plastic s*ite from B&Q) helps too.

Have you got the item number or link please?

You can get them in Motorists Discount Store too.

welshpug

not sure what the external thread is on these

BLEED_SCREWS.jpg

2206069Product.jpg

have seen them on recon calipers, those particular items pictured are a service item for wilwood calipers, £10.95 for 4 from, rallydesign.

pug_ham

I made something like that for one of my old rear calipers that had a sheared bleed nipple that didn't come out well & it worked fine but even then the nipple rusted into that & sheared when I next went to change the fluid.

g

Alan_M

BLEED_SCREWS.jpg

2206069Product.jpg

have seen them on recon calipers, those particular items pictured are a service item for wilwood calipers, £10.95 for 4 from, rallydesign.

I could find out easily enough if it would help. I have them on my Wilwoods.

jon.ford

Are 1.9 caliper bleed nipples the same size?

pug_ham

Usually yes but best to check before ordering imo.

The set I have on my car & those I bought recently both have M7 bleed nipples.

g

shalmaneser

BLEED_SCREWS.jpg

2206069Product.jpg

I'm gonna wack a set of those on my rear calipers, thread was definitely a bit tired last time I bled them - thanks for the link!

PS got some 1.9 calipers the OP can have for a tenner + P&P if he wants, they're just clutter ATM, could do with a recon though!

chris205gtioliver

Managed to sort them hopefully, though one side has an m8 bolt in it now and the other side managed to put a new nipple in the face below where the original goes :?

Gonna bleed them tomorrow and see how they go or i may get some of them from wilwood as above.

chris205gtioliver

Shamaneser., if I get stuck tomorrow I may take you up on the offer, thanks a lot. :)

lagonda

Had this trouble with my CTi. I took the calipers to a local engineering firm who drilled them out & tapped the holes for 8mm bleed nipples that I had left over from my years of Fiat ownership. Works a treat & thicker wall means less likely to snap.

chris205gtioliver

Thanks Shamaneser, just been cleaning them up tonight and they seem pretty decent, a lick of paint should see them looking good again. Thanks :D

Putt4par

Hate to say it but ended up sourcing new calipers when I had this problem, tried unsuccessfully to drill out, maybe I do not have the patience!