• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Stud Installation

christopher

I'm going to install some wheel studs. I'm planning to use the Sparco ones.

I assume I need to use Loctite to glue them. However what type should I use? Is the usual medium strength ok or should I be using something stronger so they don't come off then I remove the wheel nut?

Experience appreciated.

Thanks

welshpug

you need "studlock" rather than thread lock :)

usually green iirc, but the name on the bottle and intended use will be enough to confirm its what you need.

Anthony

I just used normal threadlock (Loctite 243 I think?) on my wheel studs and they've been fine for 2-3 years - the exposed part of the stud is nicely copper greased so it (should) always be easier for the nut to come undone than for the wheel stud to unscrew from the hub, or at least that's my theory and it seems to be holding so far.

Main thing is to make sure that both the hub and stud threads are clean and degreased before threadlocking them

christopher

you need "studlock" rather than thread lock :)

usually green iirc, but the name on the bottle and intended use will be enough to confirm its what you need.

I can't find much of the way of studlock, just normal threadlock.

I found Loctite 270 which says it is a studlock, otherwise the normal 243 that I use for everything else.

Not sure what the difference is. They both say medium strength

Edited by christopher

Ryan

I used 243 same as Anthony and they've never come unscrewed from the hub in the 5 years or so they've been fitted.

harryskid

I was having problems with mine and as Anthonys says make sure the threads are clean ect , works fine ! :D

petert

I would use 243, its medium strength. 270 is high strength and requires heat to release it. Good luck Cameron!

Edited by petert

Cameron

I would use 243, its medium strength. 270 is high strength and requires heat to release it. Good luck Cameron!

:lol:

Well you don't want them coming undone do you? :P

petert

Why will they come undone? The Loctite is only there to stop them turning when they're unloaded. Once you apply some axial load on the stud it won't move. Thus 243 is more than adequate.

Cameron

I doubt they'd come undone by themselves, but perhaps a stubborn / corroded nut could undo the stud from the hub. I can't imagine a situation where you'd take the studs out regularly enough for using high strength compound to be a problem.. it's belt and braces and I'd certainly use it on anything I didn't ever need to undo.

Edited by Cameron

McBoeuf

Does anyone know where I can buy a stud kit at 12.9 grade? struggling a bit to find them online.