• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

Brakes Failing

Carbs4me

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick one, Recently my brake line had split over some considerable amount of time slowly getting worse.... Ive recently changed it, and the brakes still seem to fail to work...

I have bleed the brakes on multiple occassions in hope there was some trapped air in there, starting from the passager side moving onto the drivers rear bleeding them both.

Still it fails to work.

The symptoms (as best as i can describe them)

No brakes or very soft peddle when first started up

Once warm brakes can be fine (odd ossacasion i have to stamp on the brake to make them work)

Brake peddle will feel fine (while been pressed), come to a juntion let off the brake down to 3rd... and the peddle has gone soft... have to pump it as im heading to the junction (twice is enough to bring them back)

standing still keeping the brake pressed as hard as possible... slowly sinking to the floor. total of 5-10mins before its at the bottom, slightly increasing in speed as the peddle goes further down.

Is this a master cyclinder problem? Vacum? or another posible spilt hose?

On another note... when i was changing the brake line i noticed the brake lines where braided but where far to small, fited a standard part from pug. others remain small braided hoses. could this be the problem?

Anthony

If there's no fluid leak, replace the MC as a matter of course - standard 20.6mm ones are only £30-40 odd new.

welshpug

braided lines are smaller o.d due to their design and constructiuon, this shouldnt be an issue.

does sound like a master cylinder failure, which is quite common after needing to bleed the system if the fluid and mc is very old, as the mc travels past its normal window of operation the seals get damaged on the corroded area of the bore.

Tom Fenton

Please stop driving this car until you have sorted out the fault.

I would also concur with the above regarding fitting a new master cyl.

Carbs4me

the car is dry stored now for the winter and then a Mi16 to be dropped in at start of Jan... Providing i dont get made redundant

sharpm

I had exactly the same symptoms after replacing all 4 calipers, discs, brake lines, hoses and compensators.

I then replaced the master cylinder and the brakes are now absolutely superb.