• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
morganb

Inner Wing Rot !

morganb

Good afternoon!

background story first lol.........Well ive had my 1.6 gti parked up outside my parents house unloved and exposed to the elements on SORN for over two years now. Life got in the way and the car just wasnt practical for me anymore, but i couldnt bear to sell her.I know the car needs to be driven so the plan was to do a few odd jobs to tidy her up and get road legal sometime in 2012 hopefully.

Anyway after a nose around the engine bay and spotting some rust i thought i'd do a light poke test with my finger !....this is what i end up with :(

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/mjrbrookes/rust.jpg

.....directly under a plate which has been welded in the past.

Removed the screen wash bottle on the other wing to find the exact same corrosion on that wing also.

Now im worried, How bad could this potentially be? and how expensive?...Im pretty inexperienced with cars :blush: every search on inner wing rust throws up photos of 205's all in bits, looks pretty full on! im scared!

speno

Depends on how far you want to go with it ... A guy welded the same thing on my grey Gti cost me £90 inc my boot floor.

For my blue gti i got me self a welder and did it right instead of just patching it

Looking at the pic it dont look that bad but you can never tell cos you need good metal to weld to

p.s im not that experienced in welding or bodywork but i think its like most things , do it right it will last a lot longer , skim over it and it will pop up again sooner than later

oh this is my work so far HERE

Edited by speno

Cameron

This is what happens if you keep patching over things!

IMAG0153.jpg

The problem is most garages will just patch it up like the above, then it just comes back to haunt you in a year or two.

Dizzee stuff

I had the same problem, I went looking round the scrap yards for a better inner wing but could only find the blue panel in the photo. This as you can see is still very rusty so I used it as a patern to make the new panel.

post-14790-0-96170000-1324031902_thumb.jpg

Cameron

I had the same problem, I went looking round the scrap yards for a better inner wing but could only find the blue panel in the photo. This as you can see is still very rusty so I used it as a patern to make the new panel.

post-14790-0-96170000-1324031902_thumb.jpg

You've done a good job there! :) What did you use to make the indentations (for want of a better word)?

Leet205

Bead roller?

welshpug

hammer and dolly I would imagine :)

Dizzee stuff

Made a patern of the old inner wing in oak with the detail in, then just hammer and bent to the shape of the oak plug.

Cameron

Made a patern of the old inner wing in oak with the detail in, then just hammer and bent to the shape of the oak plug.

Have you still got the pattern? I'm sure people would want to buy the formed patches from you if you did! :)

Judging by the increasing number of inner wing rot threads cropping up I'd say you had a good little market for it.

SurGie

I'm sure it's not that hard to make a wooden mould with some sharp chisels, good simple idea though. The wood helps keep it stable when hammering etc.

How long did it take you to make the mould and new inner wing ?

Dizzee stuff

Took longer to make the patern than the new panel, about a weekends work off an on.

welshpug

I'd buy one definitely :)

Cameron

I'm sure it's not that hard to make a wooden mould with some sharp chisels, good simple idea though. The wood helps keep it stable when hammering etc.

How long did it take you to make the mould and new inner wing ?

You've clearly never seen my wordworking abilities. :lol:

Give me metal and I'll make you whatever you want, give me wood and I'll cut both my arms off and set the house on fire.