• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Heater Matrix Change

chipstick

I'm going to change my heater matrix over tomorrow.

I only filled up with coolant a few weeks ago and haven't got many miles under the belt as I noticed a small leak under the dash early on.

What I want to do, is try to remove the heater matrix hoses in the engine bay and plug them temporaraly, and then remove the matrix and catch the fluid contained as I remove it from the heater box. Opposed to draining the system and refilling with new for the sake of it.

Anyone done the same/is it posible? Or am I likely to make a mess inside? Even with a full drain there will be coolant in the matrix so I can't see that part is going to be made more of an issue to catch coolant on removal inside.

Obviously I will top up and rebleed, but would save a full change of new fluid.

Anthony

Just part drain the system into a clean bucket, and refill after changing the matrix. So long as the bucket is clean there's no issue re-using it.

You'll lose loads of coolant if you try and remove the pipes and plug them without draining IMO.

Inside you'll lose a small amount of coolant (a rag or old towel is handy here!) but providing the system is drained and you don't tip the matrix/pipes, you'll not spill too much in my experience. I've never tried doing it with a still full cooling system, but since the matrix is lower than the expansion tank by some margin, you're liable to make a huge mess if you do.

just remove the pipes going into the matrix as you planned and join them together

then blow the matrix out with a foot pump or air line by attaching it to one of the exposed ali pipes on the bulkhead

should be dryish inside then when you take it out

joshsnoad

the other ideas will work fine, but what i normally do is get 2 hose clamps and put them on the hoses going into the matrix in the engine bay. then just top the coolant up after running for a few minutes.