• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

R888's Worth It On A Road Car?

Baz

For road use,with a variety of conditions a road tyre like a Michelin Exalto is all you need...

Agreed.

But please let's not compare use on other cars, the same tyre can act very differently on different cars.

dave richards

not talking about coops are you?

yes and dan as well

Edited by dave richards

ross009

ah i dont know dan i convoyed down to rtoc national day with coops a couple of years back his clio is stunning

dave richards

one of the cleanest cars i know of

MarkK

Agreed.

But please let's not compare use on other cars, the same tyre can act very differently on different cars.

Yup very Fair point,I only mentioned it to show I had previous experience of the motorsport TR888 tyre,but Exaltos on a 205 are so versatile and perform so well, unless my 205 was stripped out and doing a hardcore track day or racing I wouldn't bother with tr888s or any other dry biased race rubber,loads of other things that need doing before sticking dedicated track rubber on a 205....

Baz

888's aren't a race tyre anyway.

MarkK

Toyo think they are aswell as me :-),from there website below..

"Toyo Proxes R888 are street legal, high performance competition tires. The perfect competition tire for your race car"

On CSCC club days there are lots of cars using them,quite popular.

Baz

You'll probably find they're a control tyre in those cases, they're popular because they're relatively cheap, and known. But they're not a race tyre per-se, they're a road-derived tyre with the same carcass as a road tyre, hence they're not very stiff side-walled.

Miles

Which is why I use Silverstones as odd as it may sound, They come the other way round from a Slick so super stiff side walls

unariciflocos

No one mentioned the Hankook R-S2s, brilliant for what they cost, stiff sidewall, grip is superb in the dry and warm and wear is pretty good.

For wintertime nothing beats Michelin Alpin from my experience and we have proper winters here :).

johnnyboy666

just thought i'd update, the original reason I was considering r888s is because they were cheapish, however they seem to have increased in price quite a lot now so I wont be bothering unless they go back down in price again