• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

R888's Worth It On A Road Car?

johnnyboy666

just pricing up some tyres for my car, and in the size im looking at I can get R888's for £79 a corner, which, compared to falkens or similar in the same size, is only about £20 extra each

questions;

are they ok for road use if i'm not hooning it around all the time?

are they crap in the wet?

I'll only be buying a pair for the fron till my rears need changing. Is that a stupid idea?

I'm guessing thats not too bad a price compared to the £95 or so for 15's?

I realise they'll probably not last too long but how long are we talking miles wise?

I can get yoko a048-r's for a few quid more are they any good? I've just heard a lot of people recommend r888's so assume they are tried and tested on 205s

cheers

John

rallyeash

good tyres but need a bit of heat, so pointless on a road car.

i only use R888's and Yoko AO48's on my 205 but then the only road driving it gets is to and from circuits and the odd weekend blast

welshpug

they'll last bloody ages this time of the year as you'll not have any grip at all and will end up in a ditch somewhere :lol:

they're fine in the "wet" but as with any tyre with that little groove they wont like standing water, and you'll struggle to heat them up.

I like 48's, they're only £15 more than the R888 and a proper comp tyre not a road carcass with sticky rubber.

If you want a less track biased tyre then go for the AD08, £25 cheaper and a stiffer carcass than the R888 (more grooves so should cope with water better)

this time of the year though I'd be looking for a deal on Michelin alpin's, then PE2's from march onwards.

rallyeash

having run AO48's all round, R888's all round, AO48's front, R888's rears and swapped after lunch i prefer the R888's. feel more predictable, heat up quicker (nearly half a lap quicker) and are cheaper. i think R888's wear better also

johnnyboy666

Thanks, PE2s arent avaiable in the size I need as far as I know (probably should of mentioned it'll be on 13" steelies)

when you say pointless, do you mean they are worse than budget tyres due to lack of heat or just a waste of money?

Tom Fenton

888's are a waste of money for a road only car in my opinion.

There is no way you can drive safely fast enough on the public roads to make use of the grip that they offer, over and above a decent brand road tyre.

In addition they need to be hot to work, again something that is easy to achieve on a circuit but difficult on a road.

TurboSam

On the road I don't find them any better than a good road tyre, due to them needing heat to work properly as mentioned.

Road noise is very loud, and the firm sidewalls don't make a very nice ride. Steering seems heavier too.

On track they are amazing, but for road use I'd stick to road tyres.

rallyeash

+1 to road noise.

just buy some decent road tyres bud

johnnyboy666

There is the possibility of the odd trackday, but to be fair, looks like I wont bother with the R888s then!

TBC WEBER 45s

ok have you given toyo proxes a go? had proxes 2 got 10000 out of them now have proxes 4 had 20000 out of them :D not bad on the road

johnnyboy666

Cant find proxes at a decent price on 13's

johnnyboy666

Closest to proxes in that size is cf1s which are about £65 a pop by the looks of it

Baz

I don't really see the big deal with 888's, they never grip as well as they should and they're a road carcass with flexy sidewalls.

I like 48's, they're only £15 more than the R888 and a proper comp tyre not a road carcass with sticky rubber.

I concur.

... the R888's. feel more predictable, heat up quicker (nearly half a lap quicker) and are cheaper. i think R888's wear better also

That makes sense, having a softer sidewall equates to more predictability, akin to the difference between 45 and 50 profiles, and heat up quicker as they can move around more in theory, but these aren't necessarily a good thing always, eg, heat up too quick and in turn over-inflate & wear oddly/perform badly. They last longer because they're harder than the A048's, even in medium compound i think 48's are softer than the hardest 888's. ('Medium', 'GG' compound)

Edited by Baz

welshpug

not personally, but they're highly rated by the castle combe racers.

swordfish210

Was going to say. I know a few people who have used them as road/track tyre too and were pretty impressed, sort of a compromise between the A048 and a road tyre.

ash mi16

cool, and its £308 for 4 tyres witch i didnt think was to bad, does anyone no wot there like in the wet?

maxi

I just wrote a long reply to this topic but through being shouted down I have decided not to post it, I will however say I found the 888's on a HIGH power 205 made a dramatic increase in getting the power down.

Std 205 or std 205mi I wouldnt bother.

Maxi

rallyeash

i would never go back to road tyres on my 205

MarkK

For road use,with a variety of conditions a road tyre like a Michelin Exalto is all you need,they are very handy on track days aswell in Wet and dry conditions,I have used TR888s on a race car and track day car (rear drive car) but would not bother on a road 205 car when an Exalto performs so well.

dave richards

my friend has then on his clio turbo, good tyre for pod and track days but normal roads as said they are hard to get to a decent temp

huwjones

I ran R888's on my Evo all the time. They are noisy and they aren't good with puddles as has been said. Lots of the problems people have with them (warm up times and wear rates) are all down to pressures. Get the pressures right and they are a brilliant tyre. You will need different pressures for different conditions (road/track, dry/wet) to get the best out of them. The 'soft' sidewalls probably won't be an issue on something as light as a 205, however I haven't tried them on a ligher car. I'd love to buy more R888's, but the prices are just daft now. I'm going to be fitting a set of federal RSR's next week to see if they're any good. I'll try the Toyo R1R's after that.

Oh, and don't buy Proxes 4... They're crap.

ross009

my friend has then on his clio turbo, good tyre for pod and track days but normal roads as said they are hard to get to a decent temp

not talking about coops are you?