• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jarrus

205 Turbo Diesel Suspension Questions

Jarrus

First of all, I apollogise if this has been covered before but I'm going to ask anyways because I have quite a few questions....

Thinking about upgrading the suspension in my 205 TD, at present the car is completely standard (apart from me fitting a full leather interior and a snazzy cd player)

It would that for what I want, fast road and commuting is something like Eibach springs and Bilsteins B6/B8 dampers as they seem to be the tried and tested thing on pretty much any car...

Now this part I'm not sure on... From what I can find, Bilstein make dampers for the 205 TD but Eibach don't make springs for the TD,

Will the Eibach springs for the GTI be ok? The reason being that the XUD7 engine is heavier than the XU9 engine and closer to the weight of the GTi6 XU10,

Also, rear beam,

I thought about just modifying the standard rear beam with a thicker ARB and torsion bars, is it possible to do this? Is there any other reason besides the fact it has rear discs, why I should use a 1.9 beam instead?

What size torsion bars and ARB should I go for?

Thanks for your time

Brett

Strictly_Derv

I have the dreaded Rokkor coilovers on mine up front and a 1.9 beam. The standard derv uses 17mm bar I think and the GTI 19mm.

Here's a comparison of the 2 ARB (GTI on the bottom)

th_IMAG0321.jpg

Definatly worth uprating the the bars atleast.

You should be ok using the GTI spring as I havn't heard of anyone uprating their spring after say a 2.0turbo engine swap etc. But i'm no expert

Edited by pug_ham
Image filesize again, 800 x 600 / 160k max please or use thumbnail code as above.

welshpug

1.6 beam should do the trick, no need to swap cables though you will need to fit compensators unless the diesel used 1.6 brake system (afaik they were base model and used brake pressure limiters incorporated in the wheel cylinders)

could always swap the base model brake arrangement over though.

Jarrus

I wouldnt know....

I know about XUD's and 306's and thats about it for peugeots......

Jarrus

So I thought about using a 19mm gti ARB and 20 mm torsion bars, with the Eibach prokit springs and bilstein shocks with the standard ghetto spec front ARB,

this setup any good?

Paul_13

20mm tb's will cost you a bit, but rest is spot on.

Check out your front ball joints (track arm and track rod end) and also your top mounts and bearings on your struts. Tbh i'd replace the last 2 items any way

Paul_13

Edited by Paul_13

Jarrus

20mm tb's will cost you a bit, but rest is spot on.

Check out your front ball joints (track arm and track rod end) and also your top mounts and bearings on your struts. Tbh i'd replace the last 2 items any way

thanks dude, if the front subframe is the kind with the track control arms then I'll swap it out for the GTI kind then everything will get replaced at that point, but the standard arb will stay, I don't want it make it understeer more if you see what I'm doing here, so hopefully a ghetto spec front arb amd a gti rear arb shoul;d be more cost effective than a gti front and uprated rear.