• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

I've Got An Idea In My Head But I Want To Check Out The Practicali

Rich_p

The supply of old 13" ford fitment wheels is cheap and plentiful, including 7" wide wheels which I would like to run to enable the use of old 13" rally tyres or slicks.

I also like the idea of running wider rivet on fibreglass arches on the 309 and this would allow for the wheels to stick out further and clear the calipers. (I think)

I also think it would look quite cool based on having seen the arches on other square 80's cars.

My issue is how low can I go on wheel off set or how wide can I go with hubcentric spacers before I start really effecting the cars handling & the of course the safety element too.

(I'm assuming I can get hubcentric spares which also fix the problem of Ford wheels having a smaller centre bore)

Strictly_Derv

The supply of old 13" ford fitment wheels is cheap and plentiful, including 7" wide wheels which I would like to run to enable the use of old 13" rally tyres or slicks.

I also like the idea of running wider rivet on fibreglass arches on the 309 and this would allow for the wheels to stick out further and clear the calipers. (I think)

I also think it would look quite cool based on having seen the arches on other square 80's cars.

My issue is how low can I go on wheel off set or how wide can I go with hubcentric spacers before I start really effecting the cars handling & the of course the safety element too.

(I'm assuming I can get hubcentric spares which also fix the problem of Ford wheels having a smaller centre bore)

I purchased a set of bolt on pug to ford 20mm spacers from a member on here. But i've been told 15mm can be done.

It's the brakes that will be a problem running 13's. I have saxo VTS/R brakes up front and with my wheels no bigger caliper will fit underneath so bear that in mind. But that depends on what spacers your using ofcourse

th_011-4.jpg

I like 13's on retro cars :)

allanallen

For 7j wheels you want around et16 to clear a standard diameter strutt. Spacing the wheels causes all-sorts of suspension/handing issues. Hopefully one of the suspension boffins can explain the finer points but I know it ain't good.

I'm interested in the arch idea though as I'm considering moving to 17" wheels.

Al

Baz

Ackermann angles.

Edited by Baz

Rich_p

It's primarily to take advantage of cheaper tyres, plus I can get the arches for £65 a set as opposed to going down a dimmer or similar route with replacement wings etc

In some cases rubish old slab sided cars can look ok with them.

post-11873-0-49690300-1323271136_thumb.jpg

Cameron

For 7j wheels you want around et16 to clear a standard diameter strutt. Spacing the wheels causes all-sorts of suspension/handing issues. Hopefully one of the suspension boffins can explain the finer points but I know it ain't good.

I'm interested in the arch idea though as I'm considering moving to 17" wheels.

Al

Toe change under braking and torque steer are the big handling nasties, also heavy steering caused by jacking (raising the car when you steer) could get annoying. You also increase forces on various components which could lead to trouble.

allanallen

Do you really need the arches, 13x7s will fit under a standard car. 8s will go with a bit of work.

allye

Do you really need the arches, 13x7s will fit under a standard car. 8s will go with a bit of work.

Are you sure? My 6inch wide rallye steel wheels poke out of base model arches, another inch would be real wide.

Cameron

GTI arches are wider! :P

I have 7" wheels with 205/15's and they fit the GTI, don't go in the base model arches though! :lol:

allye

Yer I appreciate gti arches are that little bit wider but didn't think 7j's would fit under!

allanallen

Remember we're on about a 309 here gents

welshpug

7" fits fine if you get the offset right :)

tried 6.5" Ouragan's on mine and they had loads of space on the front, and givne the rear moves up in a straight line they were fine though fairly close.

Edited by welshpug

Rich_p

It's a case of want more than need!

Jarrus

Cut back!!! Job done....

Seriously though, i do like the mag lite wheel style for the 205... Something i would consider....

Baz

I have the same ideas tbh, but it's something that's never been a viable option, mainly because i can't stand/refuse to piss about with spacers etc, so they'd have to be a lucky find or a set of custom/new rims.

They'll fit fine though; 15x7's on a 309;

th_1047.jpg

13x7 on a 309 (although it isn't settles on the floor and ignoring the balloon tyres);

th_2012002.jpg

Jarrus

the wheels in the first picture look cool, (from what I can see) any they seem to fit under there just right...

allanallen

In a previous life my brothers 309 was lowered to the bump stops on 18x8s under standard (but rolled)arches. I'll try and find a pic.

Tom Fenton

13"'s you say??

13-dsy-wheel.jpg

Cameron

Mmm.. I'd love a set of split rims! :wub: Seems to be quite tricky finding 15" ones though.