• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kenp

1.9 Gti - Rear Wheel Lockup (N/s Only)

kenp

Whilst road testing our Pug over the weekend, I tried some brake tests and discovered the n/s rear is locking up.

I'm thinking compensator (although I did replace these about 5 years ago) rather than a caliper problem although we do hav on new an one old caliper on the back. Ironically at the last MOT it was the new caliper that was showing low effort.

Strictly_Derv

Could it be the tyres? I know when I've had a cheapy spare on it would lock up first...

Just noticed your about 5minutes from where I live in South Harting.

Edited by Strictly_Derv

welshpug

could be that the o/s isnt getting enough fluid due to the compensator, its not unusual for a 205 to lock the rears under braking.

give the system a bleed and you might find fluid comes out far easier from one than the other, the pressure required to bleed is quite minimal so the pressure limiter should not have an effect.

Strictly_Derv

could be that the o/s isnt getting enough fluid due to the compensator, its not unusual for a 205 to lock the rears under braking.

give the system a bleed and you might find fluid comes out far easier from one than the other, the pressure required to bleed is quite minimal so the pressure limiter should not have an effect.

When I had Pirrelli P600's at the rear it locked up at the rear under hard braking which was pretty scary at times.

Anthony

I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but I would say that it is most definitely NOT "usual"l for a rear wheel to lock-up on a 205.

If one of the rear wheels is locking up before the fronts on a 1.9, it's likely that the compensator has stuck open and isn't limiting pressure.

kenp

I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but I would say that it is most definitely NOT "usual"l for a rear wheel to lock-up on a 205.

If one of the rear wheels is locking up before the fronts on a 1.9, it's likely that the compensator has stuck open and isn't limiting pressure.

Yep that was my thinking too - I've recently had the beam rebuilt (and a top job he did :) ) so the rear brake system was disturbed, new pipework on the beam. Don't know if the problem was there before as it's the gf's car and I only found it whilst road testing the car a few days after the beam was done - decided to try an emergency stop which is when the the locking up manifested itself.

Ideally I presume that both compensators should be changed at the same time?

feb

When I had this happening I changed both compensators, firstly I changed the one from the same side IIRC which didn't solve the problem and then changed the opposite side one and all was well.

Edited by feb

kenp

OK, having got around to looking at the problem... changed the N/S compensator but found on the road test that the O/S rear was now locking up instead... so changed the O/S compensator as well.. road tested again and now the N/S is locking up again, only not as viciously as before...

The compensators that I've fitted came off my old Pug when I fitted a bias valve.. that car didn't have a rear locking prob as far as I can remember so I'm trying to think if there's anything else that could be causing this effect... if the front brakes were low efficiency (calipers are old now ) then could that cause this even with the compensators in line..?

eliteracer

probably nothing to do with it, my old 1,9used to do this and i found a crack in the "bell" section of the disc, when i turned thedisc and some one presssed the brakes it would open up in certain posistions and jam the caliper. changed the discs and all was well.

feb

If used compensators have been sitting they could have seized.

Best to buy new ones.

kenp

Yep, I did think that might have happened.. I was trying to be a cheapskate having just shelled out for a new rear beam etc!

Rear discs are new btw.

I'll probably try some new compensators....

keeperlit

Hi KenP, did the new compensators fix the lock up problem? I've got same problem now after the car sat for a year while the rear beam was rebuilt.

Cheers,

Keith

kenp

Replied to your PM Keith, but for the benefit of other forum members - yep, fitting a pair of nice shiny new compensators sorted the problem :)