• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Rheostat Questions

chipstick

I have had a few heater related issues.

Firstly when I got the car the heater motor squeeked, so put a replacement down on my list of things to purchase.

Did the engine conversion, tested to see everything worked and found the heater didn't work at all. Not a noise, not a sausage.

I thought I had probably knocked a connection off the back, so removed some trim and had a fiddle and it looks fine.

I thought the rheostat could have been at fault, so got a replacement (used) and it was a little dirty on the connection so I cleaned it up a bit. I like fiddling so decided to try and get that small disk out with a screwdriver to give it a good clean - unfortunately the slightest pressure on the spingy tab bends it and it now doesn't make contact. I haven't bothered to fit it as I imagine now it is scrap unless it can be 'fixed'.

I have no idea what the idea behind these is, whether it is mean to contact for certain settings etc, so what I am getting at is what exactly would it do if I soldered the tab down onto that tiny disc bit.

Also, would this playing up be a likely cause to my heaters suddenly not working AT ALL? I sense it would be tooo much of a coincedence.

My heater matrix is also leaking (replacement on way) and I did wonder if it could have shorted something? No fuses are blown in the box.

The only reason I noticed my matrix was leaking was when I went to fit a stereo and saw a flourescent drip. Luckily I haven't got wet carpets, but I think I am safer to remove what I can and see how wet it has got as I don't want water retained in the underlay.

JoshGti

Can't help with the issues but I bent the tab on my rheostat doing the Same thing you are, if you take out the disc and put a toothpick under the top edge of the tab and push the end down into the hole it should bend it down enough.

Then just carefully push the disc back under so it doesn't bend back up. Worked for me!

Baz

As above, you can sometimes clean this/connections up a little too to give results, but tbh sometimes when they've had it, they've had it!

chipstick

Can you buy new other than Peugeot?

I couldn't see anything under rheostat on ECP. It's a common thing so must be people who sell pattern ones?

chipstick

Going to add to this rather than start a new thread. I spent a bit of time trying to sort this issue last weekend.

I have tested the fan motor and it's in good working order.

I removed the rheostat and tried 2 others and my fans still won't operate from the dials.

I removed part of the dash to get to the plug for the dials, and if I unplug it, the fans work at what I would guess to be full speed.

Does this symptom point towards a dial failure? I remember reading back along about diagnosis and the fans working with the plug out and forget whether that indicates that the rheostat is knackered therefore the speed is no longer variable, or if the dials are at fault.

I am unable to remember/find again where I saw this so wondered if anyone could clarify :)

chipstick

Anyone have any ideas?

Putting my dash back in later for the umpteenth time and each time I remove the top cowling I grit my teeth hoping it doesn't crack, so would like to somehow eliminate the controls being the issue if possible.

Slo

Just get a new rheostat, mine comes on say half speed if i unplug the dials but if i unplug the rheostat it stops

chipstick

Got 5 here and none make a difference. Id be surprised if they were all buggered. May just bite the bullet and buy a new one to be sure it's not that.

Slo

If the fan works with direct voltage then it will be the rheostat.Ive had several in my possesion before and was in the same boat, convinced it was the wiring or dials then managed to find one that worked and voila been fine ever since.

Anthony

I'll bring you a known good and tested one along with me tomorrow Dan :)

chipstick

Brilliant, thanks :)

Hopefully that will pinpoint it to that. I put my whole dash back in yesterday and accepted the fact the fans will run at low speed all the time. :lol: