• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Russ_T

Upgrading Merv

Russ_T

Hello,

New to the forum, hung around on PSOOC for a year whilst user registration was closed here and now here I am :)

I bought a 205 K plate 1.8 DTurbo for £500 as a cheap car for my 12k mile commute each year. I work on Exmoor national park so lots of fast single lane A roads, plenty of bumps and some tractors. The more I drove the 205 the more I fell in love. I've fixed the knackered fan, swapped the rear shocks for GTi6 ones and tonight I won some Speedlines on eBay :)

I can't throw money at it, I've a house to renovate, but I would like to get bits now and then and improve things. I know it's easy to go about this the wrong way and there is a wealth of knowledge already learnt to take advantage of. I need to maintain fuel economy (51mpg @ 70mph around the hills atm! maybe my speedo is out but nothing really keeps up with me).

I was torn between some 15" steel wheels with lower profile 165 tyres, but I thought the unsprung weight would be an issue and for the money I could get some alloys. I hope I've made the right decision.

I think next up are GTi ARBs and torsion bars, stiffen things up.

Then maybe a front strut brace?

I'd like to set the stance a bit better, lower it a fraction. I had a 306 that I dropped on 17s and it was rubbish :)

Also this weekend I might see if I can set the seat a bit lower some how, I'm quite tall and end up slouching a lot. It feels like the runners sit on raised bars on the car floor though which might make it tricky!

Anyway is there any membership I should pay or sign up to?? I don't think Merv and I (the number plate ends MRV) will part for a while.

I'll do some proper searching and reading tomorrow :)

Cheers!

allye

Welcome to the forum Russ!

Membership here is free but you can donate to help the forum run :)

You may have clearence issues on the rear arches with 15inch wheels, I assume the speedlines are 1.9GTI ones?

Reference lowering your seat you can take out some think black ring washer type things that sit between the seat and mouting points, quite a few people have done this including me as I'm 6'5'! There is a lot of debate whether a strut brace does much but I personal opinion is they do help stiffen it up, just make sure you get a decent sparco/omp one.

You could get a half decent set of front springs and shock off here 2nd hand for <£100 to help lower it and stiffen it up a little. Don't forget bushes and mounts, its worth replacing suspension strut top mounts, arb bushes, rear beam mounts etc.

Chuck up a project thread, the old diesel turbos have a good following and get a fair bit of interest :D

Edited by allye

Anthony

Fit standard 205 GTi springs to the front - lowers it nicely and maintains excellent ride quality.

GTi rear ARB is certainly worthwhile, and if you're lowering the rear to match the front then do the torsion bars at the same time.

Fitting an intercooler and increasing the fuelling/boost a little will make it quicker with little impact on economy.

Using a 5dr seat subframe will lower the seat a little, at the expense of losing the ability to tilt the seat forwards (or modify the 3dr one to remove the tilt)

Russ_T

Hello, thanks for the quick reply :)

Can this thread be moved to Renovations and Overhauls please? I don't have permissions to start a new thread that I can see :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll have a play with the seat next weekend and see what I can do with just removing the standard parts.

I like the GTi springs idea, my shocks are ok and it'll save a bit of money. Exmoor roads and pretty bumpy in parts so I can't go too firm.

Damn, I wish I'd done some research on the wheels, I've just generated myself a fair bit of work. I bought the 1.9Gti Speedlines here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150708166896&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1413

I was torn between running a 165 tyre on 15" steels but this seemed like too good a deal with tyres. I could do Rallye arches but we're back into more work and money.

Off to do more research to see how I solve this problem. I can get a 1.9 rear beam from the guy if that helps, but I can't imagine the DTurbo runs a wider beam, just smaller arches?

Cheers

allye

A 1.9 GTI rear beam will make the rear track wider and make the rubbing issues even worse I'm afraid. I would say you best bet is 14inch wheels of some sort.

If you want to start a new build thread go into 'porject and work starters' and open a thread in there, it will then be moved as seen appropriate by a mod.

Russ_T

Thanks, will do. I'll finish this thread when I get the wheels fitted and go from there.

Yeah that's what I thought, I didn't imagine the shells were so different. Is it just where the arches are shaped or is the shell wider? Maybe I'm starting from the wrong place and should save for a GTi shell and chuck my dturbo in it....

I'm determined to get some 15s working, busy try to find out what's involved in that. I've bought these wheels now so I'm committed. Wish I'd gone for 106 Rallye wheels now, one day http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=132535 looks excellent!

So far on the topic I've found http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=131794

Also this looks fantastic, more MPG and power by going to a 1.9DT from a 306, nice plan for the future! http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=134685&hl=dturbo&st=10

I'm gonna do a little work on Merv today and give him a wash, I'll take some photos and go from there.

Cheers

welshpug

personally I'd stick some partner steels on with 185 60 14 michelin energy's on there :) you may well find a set already with some on as michelins were o.e fit :)

on my brother inlaw's 306 dturbo they went past the 20k mile mark easily.

allye

I've always fancied a 205 with a 1.9DT in it for a daily. Tempted to drop one in my 309 :rolleyes:

The arches on gti's and stdt's for that matter are a lot bigger, sort of cut back quite a lot to make room for the bigger wheels.

Edited by allye

welshpug

easy job in your 309 Allye ;)

allye

easy job in your 309 Allye ;)

I know! thats what makes it tempting, plug and play and loads of room :ph34r:

Russ_T

Well I got the wheels and they look good. Going to fit them Saturday so I can get photos in the daylight and take it for a test. I think I'll just be ok but it might look a bit monster truckish.

I'm totally taken with the 306 1.9td in a 205 idea, so rather than upgrade my DTurbo I'll keep her ticking along and save for a GTi shell with dead engine.

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/peugeot/306/19_td_89_bhp__90_ps__66_kw/td_diesel_tuning_box_peugoet_306_19_td_89_bhp_90_ps_66_kw_P700.html

180lbft in my 205 would be nice :)

For now I've a list of things to fix for Merv

• Fuel gauge that sometimes seems to lose it's signal and starts going down then back up - hoping dodgy connection above tank
  • When I try to flash my lights it doesn't work unless I'm on dipped lights so I have to quickly go to and from main beam blinding everyone if I get it wrong.
  • Slight power surge when I'm on it a bit, like the fuel isn't getting delivered properly and then is and then isn't and then it's ok again. Doesn't always happen.
  • Tacho that stops working most of the time after the car has heated up, think this is due to a dodgy sensor on the back of the engine?

I'll do some searching but if anyone has any ideas on those I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

welshpug

lmao :lol:

good luck finding somewhere to plug that into your car... ;)

you can take it to the stated power+torque for FREE!

Russ_T

:) Looks like the same plugs on my Nissan, I haven't done any research, just a quick google search.

I don't want to lose fuel economy, and it's way down my list of things to do at the moment, just a nice daydream until a GTi rolling shell comes up cheap and locally.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=132855&hl=%20dturbo%20%20oil&st=0 will be helpful, but I still need to figure out exactly which year/model engine is the desired one and wait for one of those to come up on ebay :)

Didn't think I'd ever get this excited before I bought a 205 :wub:

Thanks!

Paul_13

The sensor for the rev counter is located on the back of the block, behind the flywheel.

Prone to failing.

First I'd start with giving the sensor a clean, then connectors going to it.

Try lifting the rear seat to gain access to the wiring for the fuel level sender, have the ignition on and give the wires a wiggle. Should tell you if its wiring at fault.

Try a new headlight/indicator stalk, your full beam should come on regardless of wether dipped beam is on.

Regarding surging issue. Could be many things.

- fuel filter blocked

- turbo seen better days

- blocked air filter

- sticky solenoid in diesel pump/failing alternator

Could be one or none of the above

welshpug

bar the stop solenoid and an egr microswitch on later 306's there will be no electronics attached to your fuel pump, the link is quite misleading and quite an incorrect listing.

Paul_13

I just saw that link. How on earth are you meant to tune a fully mechanical engine (1.9 td), with an electronic box?!

Complete bollox!

Gimmick me thinks

I know the later ones had an ecu controlled pump but still a laugh

Edited by Paul_13

Strictly_Derv

As far as I know none of the 306 1.9's have any ecu's. The 406 does have electrics on it. They must mean the 2.0 hdi.

If you want any help on your conversion i'm happy to help. It was fairly easy and straightforward.

Max.

Paul_13

The 406 does have electrics on it.

What I was meant, my bad.

Some 605/406 2.1 diesel pumps have the ECU thing on. Does this just change the advance? I swear it doesn't alter the fueling.

Strictly_Derv

What I was meant, my bad.

Some 605/406 2.1 diesel pumps have the ECU thing on. Does this just change the advance? I swear it doesn't alter the fueling.

No idea to be honest. I hate electrics.

Old skool mechanics FTW :lol:

The good thing about the 'electric' xud's is that you can just wack on a normal pump and wont have a problem. A 2.1 with a bosch and TD04 would make a pretty rapid 205 like that funny van on youtube.

Russ_T

Yeah that TDI Tuning lot must just have spammed every car model saying they offer something. I'm relieved to know it's mechanics operated, I stand much more chance that way lol.

Paul_13, thanks very much. Good thinking on giving it a clean first rather than wasting £30. I had the fuel sender connectors off the other day as I had to drop the tank to run new brake lines to the rear (not to self, they aren't the same length both sides, d'oh). I still haven't managed to get the filler neck connected properly though so that's also on the list (along with maybe a dodgy gummed up water level sensor). I'll have a look on ebay for a stalk then cheers, was hoping I could repair mine as it works on dipped so I figured maybe it's just a dodgy connection/crapped up, I'll have it apart over christmas.

The surging happens so rarely I'm not worried for now. I have changed the air filter, the fuel filter the local motor factors couldn't get me the right one after three goes so I gave up. The pump was changed I think by previous owner as it looks very new and shiny, so maybe it's the wrong one, I'll get a photo and parts numbers for it. Generally Merv goes really well, especially up hills where the weight advantage rocks! so I imagine the turbo is ok. I couldn't be sure about the solenoid or alternator. I'll see if changing the fuel filter solves anything. Thanks very much!

Strictly Derv, thank you very much for the offer. I intend to do as much research from old posts (probably all yours) as possible but it's good to know theres someones brain to pick when invitably something comes up! Thankfully everyone else has done all the hardwork before me, the combination of gearbox/drive shafts, which engine model, which fuel pump etc etc. I'd just like to get it working first and then refine it after it's done a few miles. Anyway first I have to fix the current one!

Russ_T

Well I changed from my 165/65/13 steelies to 195/50/15 speedlines and what a difference! No rubbing whatsoever at my monster truck suspension level (only two of us in the car, 99.9% of the time it's only me driving to work anyway). It feels much quieter and sticks much better. A lot of that is probably down to better tyres, but losing the tyre wall and a bit wider is much improved. Looks better as well :) Almost tempted to keep it now and put a new lump in it, keep the mums car look to upset people even more ...

Before ...

merv1.jpg

Wondering if some 18" Veilsides would fit

merv2.jpg

After (sorry for shakey shot, didn't have the tripod)...

merv3.jpg

Will get an arty shot tomorrow at work if it's not pissing down.

Edited by Russ_T

Jarrus

Does make me wonder if you could get away with a bit of lowering,

195/50/15 tyres are cheap also...

welshpug

wont do your economy much good though, would be better staying 14" and a 185 tyre :)

Russ_T

If I lower it I'll have to stiffen it and then I'm halfway towards a gti shell on ebay probably. I'd need front arb, torsion bars, springs, shocks probably and bushes...

The wheels are a bit heavier, I'll let you know how economy goes. Today I could carry much more corner speed so provided I don't crash then I'm not having to accelerate up as much...

Hower much lower are gti springs and will I need to replace my shocks?

Cheers guys