• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

205 And 306 D Turbo

BlueBolt

Ok... So I need to get myself a small durv motor for 400+ miles a week of commuting to work and back...

I know there's such a thing as the 205 d turbo, but is it the same as the gti but runs on "fuel of Satan" just as the early 306 d turbo's are??

I'm quite liking the 306 idea as my brother had one that he sold to my dad and was a good little motor, but having a 205gti and loving it quite so much I'm also keen on the idea of one too??

Is the engine the same in both cars or did u read somewhere that the 205 was a 1.8 as opposed to the 1.9 in the 306...

The other options in the list were the 1.5 durv turb 106 or saxo, saxo being lowest on the list due to it being a s*itroen...

If anyone has any other ideas they think I should contemplate please feel free to list them out for me... It needs to cost me around 600 ish, and I'm not in a major rush for it as I have no money at all at the moment and am using my Seat Leon Cupra TDi till I got something else...

Paul_13

205 d turbo is base model spec

205 stdt is a derv gti spec model

205 1.8 dt. 306 1.9 dt.

I thought the 106/saxo was a na diesel engine, no turbo

BlueBolt

Hmmm... U may be right about that, in which case it's back off the list lol

BlueBolt

Not many stdt's about are there.....!!

Paul_13

Nope, if you get one get rid of that horrible beige interior!

Strictly_Derv

205's with 1.9 DT engines are awesome and quick cars with a few easy mods

BlueBolt

Nope, if you get one get rid of that horrible beige interior!

Yea saw that on the only two I could see, on feebay...

None at all on auto trader that I could see...

I like the sound of the 1.9dt in the 205!! Power to weight again!! Ie also been told that the 306lump can bring 150bhp with ease???

allye

205 d turbo is base model spec

205 stdt is a derv gti spec model

205 1.8 dt. 306 1.9 dt.

I thought the 106/saxo was a na diesel engine, no turbo

D turbo is not the base model turbo diesel 205, i think thats the grdt or similar. The D turbo had rev counter gti style seats etc where as the grdt didn't.

Paul_13

I was more hinting towards no plastic arches and spoiler on a dturbo.

Sorry wrote it in a rush

Edited by Paul_13

Strictly_Derv

D turbo is not the base model turbo diesel 205, i think thats the grdt or similar. The D turbo had rev counter gti style seats etc where as the grdt didn't.

Dturbo is the same spec level as the XS, one below the GTI.

150 bhp is easy, just need T2/K14, Bosch, gov-mod and 11mm head should see that.

My conversion took 8 days working a couple hour a night.

Paul_13

205's with 1.9 DT engines are awesome and quick cars with a few easy mods

:) Yep

33psi of boost sees M3 off lights :)

BlueBolt

:) Yep

33psi of boost sees M3 off lights :)

Still keeping the economy of it?? What kinda mpg u get average with the mods?? I got to sort out the gti at the moment, but is something I coul think about further down the line...

This being said, another thought for the 306 dturbo was if it has same gear as the gti6 then I could transfer it to the gti once I've killed the dturbo lol

Strictly_Derv

MPG stays the same unless you boot give or take 1 or 2 mpg.

Some even increase MPG with stage 1 tune's due too increased low down torque so lower gear changes can be done

Paul_13

He was getting 800 miles a tank, foot to floor up and down m40 from Wycombe to oxford everyday.

You do maths!

Bit of spec about it.

205 stdt w/ 1.9 dt engine.

FMIC

T2 turbo at the time

It had a 11mm head in the pump instead of a 9mm.

Advance mod on the pump

Couple of other bits I can't remember

Standard bottom end

Turbo wound up

Strictlyderv your going to have to take me out in it if I make it to this meet. I secretly love dervs :)

Edited by Paul_13

BlueBolt

800 miles to a tank??!!?? That's awesome!!!

Will deff have to be having a think about that!! Stdt for a reasonable price at the moment would be a good start, thinking the interior alone makes it not worth the 750 starting price one is up for lol

allanallen

This is all interesting stuff, I'm keeping an eye out for a 1900 td engine for my 205 inca. The 1800 non turbo is amazing on fuel (50mpg +) but it's silly slow.

I've gathered that the Bosch/t2 is the best combo to have but is there anything else I need to look out for when sourcing an engine?

Cheers, al

BlueBolt

There's a few 306 d turbo engines on feebay at the moment but they want 450 for em!! ????

muddatrucker

Theres a couple of STDTs on ebay, brilliant cars.

BlueBolt

Yea going for good money though... Also as mentioned earlier I have no money at the moment so am just gathering info more than anything...

welshpug

405, damn cheap sturdy very comfy things, still do very good mpg.

Henry Yorke

This is all interesting stuff, I'm keeping an eye out for a 1900 td engine for my 205 inca. The 1800 non turbo is amazing on fuel (50mpg +) but it's silly slow.

I've gathered that the Bosch/t2 is the best combo to have but is there anything else I need to look out for when sourcing an engine?

Cheers, al

From what I heard, the earlier ones don't have cats on etc. Try and avoid airconned R plate engined 306 1.9 DTs (I forget the engine code) as they have a tendency to chuck a rod through the block. Not sure why but I know Gav Robinson (The Derv Doctor ) had seen this a fair few times. Early ones have the Bosch pump and the Garrett Turbo, as opposed to Lucas pumps or KKK turbos. The Bosch is easiest to tune yourself but for big power, the Lucas has better internals (which may be where all this 9 to 11mm stuff comes from).

All just old info and things may have moved on since I had my 1994 306 DT many moons ago

welshpug

its all bosch these days :)

DHY were the rod throwers, but nowadays it would not worry me as its been some time since i heard of one dying, my brothers 97 p plater is nearing 200k on a DHY