• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

Sub Frame Stitch Welding >

SurGie

I do tend to have a habit of going too fast, i was worried about putting in too much heat. I did find some red oil/grease type of substance around the seams, inside the middle inner cavity section from the welding heat, not sure why its red though.The first mistake i made was not getting it dipped clean. The power settings are a bit inconsistent, no doubt due to the extension lead and crappy old fuse box in the garage.

Here are the under side of the edges, it looks like it's fused to me. I went down straight on these sections of the stitch welds due to the steel being thin on the edges and light was a bit poor.

th_SL434andfusionwelds008.jpg th_SL434andfusionwelds005.jpg th_SL434andfusionwelds004-1.jpg

Below are my welds right next to the original welds, they are about the same. They have dips in the middle of the weld old and new.

th_SL434andfusionwelds007.jpg th_SL434andfusionwelds006.jpg

This one is where the wishbone fits, it's the original welding and looks quite high to me.

th_SL434andfusionwelds009.jpg

dcc, thats a bit of a sweeping statement to make from just some of my welding. I have 2 years city and guilds car body work training 7 or so years ago, although its not a welding coarse as such, i still had to weld well enough to pass both years worth.

Edited by SurGie

Alastairh

Some jobs in life you need to leave to the professionals / people that know what they are doing. Otherwise it will look s*it and be a liability to yourself and others. In this case, probably both.

Batfink

Some jobs in life you need to leave to the professionals / people that know what they are doing. Otherwise it will look s*it and be a liability to yourself and others. In this case, probably both.

really?

How is it more compromised than before? Is it a professional opinion or just sticking your oar in? Nothing has been done to the original welds so its unlikely to be weaker is it?

Paul_13

Nothing has been done to the original welds so its unlikely to be weaker is it?

Exactly.

Everyone seems to be having a dig like normal.

At least he's put the effort in and given it a go.

cheesegrater

I'm going to be doing the same thing after seeing this so props to you! At the end of the day your never going to become good at anything if you don't start in the first place.

Cameron

Absolutely! There's nothing wrong with having a go and everything is a learning experience, it's better to try something and make mistakes than to never bother and just get someone else to do all the work for you. I have no doubt that the subframe is now stronger than it was before, I mean If he'd gone round all the areas he welded with super glue it would still have been stronger than before! I just think you shouldn't go giving people advice or criticism until you fully understand the subject matter - and that's not just aimed at SurGie.

Edited by Cameron

johnnyboy666

well it seems this thread has two purposes:

1) to encourage people NEVER under any circumstances to ever try anything for themselves. Those who do shall be disposed of.

2) to encourage people not to join this forum, and probably encourage a few people to leave too

SurGie

Thanks guys :)

As i've already said, i had hired a very experienced welder 10 years or so ago and from what welds iv seen around the internet they were pretty poor. Im sure if the car was his own, he would not have rushed it and it would have been a better job because time is money. This is the reason why i do as many jobs myself, even if it takes longer.

I'm not too sure superglue would have made it any stronger but i know the welds i have done will gain some strength and stiffness to the frame.

The original welds in the pic i posted do look a bit cold where it meets the frame and seems to show no signs of weakness in the years it's been used.

I shall be doing some more practice welds on 0.8g sheets, so watch this space guys ^_^