• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ross009

Rubbish Heater Blower!

ross009

Does anyone know of any causes for my heater blower to be so weak? it spins up beacuse i can hear it but it just doesnt blow out very hard at all it more seeps warm air out as apposed to blow! doesnt matter what i put it on either like windcreen/feet etc there all rubbish, or are they just all rubbish?

cheers

Strictly_Derv

It might have a blocked intake, try removing it and fish around to see if there's anything blocking it.

Cameron

Either a nackered motor, speed control or dial. I had to replace all three of them on mine yesterday. :lol:

kingboyk

I'd guess at terminally ill personally. Had to replace mine a winter or two ago, iirc got a second hand one off fleabay.

NB: Total guess you'd be wise to ignore :)

ross009

i took the motor out and started it up and it does get faster as you increase the speed on the dial although it seems very hard to get it in and it not catch as it spins so maybe thats affecting it also will check for blockages and see what the outcome is cheers for the replys though. need to get it sorted takes ages to clear the windscreen!

Mark Greenwood

il go with speed control/dial :)

Paul_13

Take the rheostat out which is located next to the fan. ( 2 screws securing it and also a plug) and check condition of it

lagonda

Don't forget to oil the fan motor bearings...that helps a lot. To be honest though, the ventilation system in the 205 is pretty pathetic, so don't expect too much!

Josh_Quant

there normally noisey to lol

shalmaneser

I put in a new fan a couple of years ago and it's bloody brilliant, took five minutes to fit too. Cetainly worth doing if your blower is a bit asthmatic!

kyepan

With regards to the dial, what can be serviced on it?

Secondly does anyone have a photo of the motor itself?

And finally Has anyone else noticed that the screen on the passenger side gets way more air!

Edited by kyepan

dcc

Ha!

The dial uses contacts, so unless you can build them back up they are usually just changed, really hard to damage the dials though.

The most common thing to go wrong with these, as I found out, is the resistor/relay thing just behind it on the bulkhead. This gives the fan different speeds from the input from the control.

And yes, the fecking passenger window gets LOTS more air... I carry a towel in the car so tend to bung up the passenger side!

Would like to know where people buy new motors from though, or even if the old ones are service-able?

kyepan

my thinking was if a better motor might be available that was the same size.. for example a brushless one.

welshpug

gsf, ecp etc, probably your local motorfactor can get valeo bits like this.

Anthony

You can strip the blower motor down to a point.

There's not a great deal inside that can be user serviced/replaced, but just cleaning and regreasing the bushes can make a significant difference as they tend to dry out and attract dirt/moisture over the years, slowly seizing them up. Certainly I've done two or three now and they've worked well afterwards without the usual whirring and squealing.

Whilst admittedly not brilliant by modern standards, I've never found the ventilation and heating in a 205 bad by any means.

ross009

im still no closer to fixing this also i cannot get the motor to not catch the inside of the housing especially at slow speeds took the rheostat out didnt really know what to look for though? guess new motor might be the next idea?

BlueBolt

I've got a motor that I bought a month or so ago that has slight damage to the plug socket bit on it? If you're already taking ur current one apart then it's easy enough to transfer the bits into your housing if this fan is good enough to do the trick??

It's a spare as I bought 2 and still haven't got round to fitting them...

Pm sent...

sailtek22

i love the way when it gets cold every one start to think about fixing there heaters lol im doing mine today only seem to get luke warm air through mine and heater knob only goes half way round :angry: bet i end up pulling out half the dash to sort it.

BlueBolt

I knew mine needed sorting when I got my gti in the summer, got spare motors and complete control unit thing that takes up most of behind the dash but still not got round to puttin it in as u haven't got my car running lol

Baz

You can strip the blower motor down to a point.

There's not a great deal inside that can be user serviced/replaced, but just cleaning and regreasing the bushes can make a significant difference as they tend to dry out and attract dirt/moisture over the years, slowly seizing them up. Certainly I've done two or three now and they've worked well afterwards without the usual whirring and squealing.

Whilst admittedly not brilliant by modern standards, I've never found the ventilation and heating in a 205 bad by any means.

This.

sailtek22

well just finished fixing mine turned out that there were some cables stopping the arm from fully moving wish i spotted it before undoing most the glove box lol

o well its nice and warm now un like me i cant feel my fingers lol

BlueBolt

un like me i cant feel my fingers lol

Something that not even fingerless gloves can help with lol

JoshGti

Rebuilt my replacement today also and ended up with the same problem as when I took the last one apart! I snapped the securing ring and the fan blade part sits loose on the shaft, sorted it by sleeving the shaft with some Ali tube and drilling out the fan hole, needless to say the re-oiling on the bushes worked and I sanded the copper shaft the brushes sit against back to fresh copper.

Motor is good as new!

kyepan

I bought a new resistor from eBay, that made a big diffence straight away, then took apart and regreased the shaft at the base of the motor. It now actually blows hard enough that you can hear the air.... Woot.