• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

Cti Front Anti Roll Bar (Ie Base Model)

lagonda

Keen watchers of this sub-forum will remember I hit a kerb a few weeks back & suggestions as to likely damage included movement of the ARB.

Well, that was correct. The measurement from the sub frame to the guide bar clamp on the ARB should according to Haynes be 330mm, but is now 348mm on mine. A nice polished area on the guide bar also shows how much I need to get the ARB to move back.

I drove it up on ramps, loosened the clamp pinch bolt and loosened all 4 ARB mounting bolts. Using 18" Stilsons as a lever, I could hear metal straining against rubber, but no perceptible movement. Getting someone to bounce the front end up & down didn't help, either, while I was doing it. Thinking it might help with everything hanging free, I've just jacked it up, with wheels off the ground...makes no difference, it still won't slide across.

Do I need perhaps to lever the ARB mounting away from the subframe, to release tension? Any other suggestions...reluctant to remove suspension arms, only "enjoyed" that job a couple of months ago!

welshpug

what youve done should be enough to get it moving :unsure:

trogboy

You need to man up! :lol:

I think that you might have an idea with levering up the caps that hold the ARB in place. That should allow the bar to slide across as you'll reduce the friction from the poly bushes. You could even take them right off if they are the pressed steel type - I think my base model ones may have been cast and slightly thicker so you needed to drop the back of the subframe to get them out.

lagonda

I'm assuming there's no spring/tension in the ARB whilst everything is hanging down (or indeed sitting evenly on ramps). The mounting bushes appear to be completely circular, ie not split for easy removal, but I guess the mounting will separate from the bushes if I completely remove the retaining nuts.

trogboy

The bushes are split along the top edge. If you take off the retaining cap then you should be able to slide them along by hand.

lagonda

CTi having a larf as usual. Levering away (uselessly) underneath, it of course starts falling off the jacks. Managed to hold it whilst I escaped, then it fell off comletely. Wheels still on of course, plus axle stands ready to catch it in this event...you can't be too careful, as this proves.

So next questions:-

Everything is more accessible (not to mention safer) with it on ramps, so is there any benefit trying to shift the ARB with the wheels off the ground?

Concerned that the guide bar clamp may have been overtightened, & is in fact gripping the guide bar even with the pinch bolt loose, I've removed the pinch bolt & levered the jaws of the clamp apart. Now I'm amazed to find the clamp doesn't seem to be welded or located positively to the ARB. So...how accurate can the 330mm setting be (as per Haynes) if in fact the guide bar clamp can be fitted anywhere along that kink in the ARB? Should I in fact be measuring elsewhere?