• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Best Pad/disc Combination For Xs ?

johnnyboy666

as above, whats the best pad/disc combo for an XS using standard size disc and standard calipers?

I dont expect drilled/grooved discs have much of an effect on small discs do they?

so would the best bet to get cheap discs and some aggresive pads?

thanks

John

kyepan

possibly m1144 if you can get them, then some high temp ap racing fluid.. braided hoses for a bit more solid feel, and stand on them hard.

Ps i don't know what caliper the xs uses, if it is Bendix.. it might be worth changing over to a girling.

Cameron

Drilled discs are no good, especially for the road where you hope to get decent mileage from them. They tend to crack around the edges of the holes - not good.

If you must have special discs then grooved discs are your best bet, though you'll get slightly reduced pad life. To be honest you really don't need them, grooves are there to reduce pad glaze on track where you're hammering the brakes all the time, on the road they're an aesthetic thing at most.

Pad wise you can't go wrong with Mintex or Ferodo, but you can go very wrong with EBC. :lol:

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

1.9 discs standard 1.6 pads and 1.6 pad carriers (xs is on solids afaik?) Should suffice, as long as the sliders are not worn out, cheap to rebuild thoigh and nice and light.

miamichris

^^^ I have that set up on my Xs, with mintex 1144 pads fitted and its a much better setup than standard.

johnnyboy666

1.9 discs standard 1.6 pads and 1.6 pad carriers (xs is on solids afaik?) Should suffice, as long as the sliders are not worn out, cheap to rebuild thoigh and nice and light.

Would that require more clearance, as I'm running 13" steelies (not standard) and there is not much clearance as it is, so any further and I'd need spacers

welshpug

unsure, what offset and width are they? its the lateral clearance that would be the issue as they take up no more space radially.

johnnyboy666

not sure on the offset but ive got about 4-5mm clearance between the caliper and wheel, theyre 6j wide. do you know how much more lateral width we'd be talking?

Im debating whether to use the 1.6gti hubs ive got and run the whole 1.6 setup or as you've said WP

dav1

See if you can get mintex 1155's i got these of miles on my gti and they are absolutely great.