• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

How Do You Remove The Wishbone From The Hub?

MiniGibbo

As the picture shows below really, i got the hub nut off then the track rod end but cant get the wishbone end to pop off its like the arb is stopping it from going all the way down..

Any hints or tips?

SDC14337.jpg

MiniGibbo

I tried the balljoint spliter and then a 600mm bar but it seems like it only comes down half way then stops, almost as if the arb is stopping it?

Am i imagining this and just need to man up?

j_turnell

Few shocks with a hammer and bar to break the taper and then it should pop out no problem. Just pull the arm down and move the upright, but be careful not to pull the shaft out on the near side. Trouble with ball joint splitters is they often wreck the boots.

j_turnell

Just noticed the pic, had the gti setup in my mind. Yes the ARB will be holding it up. Big ass bar to pull the arm down needed!

MiniGibbo

Car won for the second weekend in a row..

I couldnt get the wishbone end out so took the whole thing off unfortantly however,

First i split the wishbone little boot with the fork.

Then i ripped the new strech boot in two as the draper cone i bought is too big, it only went up 3/4 of the way and popped.

Then as i was packing up defeated i noticed the boot on the inside dripping gearbox oil where i must of pulled the shaft out while fannying with the wishbone..

I tried to push the shaft back in to stop the drip but its just spongey and dosent seem to want to go back in?

SurGie

Few shocks with a hammer and bar to break the taper and then it should pop out no problem. Just pull the arm down and move the upright, but be careful not to pull the shaft out on the near side. Trouble with ball joint splitters is they often wreck the boots.

I would not hammer it, you may oval the hubs ball joint hole.

I did mine thats like your wishbone using a big crow bar after the ARB was unbolted, then fit the new one onto the ARB then refit. Or fit the wheel then use it to wobble the hub a bit while someone is pulling down the wishbone when the ARB nut is undone, mine popped out straight the way. Remember to renew any lock nuts that have been taken off as well.

Oh and when i did my 306 hub mine dripped a bit of gearbox oil out which was small but fine, but if you have pulled it out too far you may need a new seal for that, if so then use a little moly grease around the new seal so it gets a good lasting seal.

Edited by SurGie

welshpug

there is no taper so no need to hammer or use a splitter, just lever down whilst pushing the hub carrier inwards.

j_turnell

I know there not tapered per say but I find a few swift smacks with a bar on the inside upper section of the upright will release most of the wishbone. It's only if your a bloody idiot and smaking the side of the pinch bolt section that you could damage it, but surely that's just common sense....

I generally don't use a bar as I find it can actually pinch the ball joint against the inside of the hub preventing it from coming out. On a base model though it's the only way so just need to keep the joint as square and upright as possible.

Lan

as already said big bar, if you have someone to help you they could push in the hub carrier

MiniGibbo

Checked the car just now, and it seems to have not dropped anymore gearbox oil so im hoping as said above its just dripped a little bit while i was pulling and pushing..

Its a 60mm puddle. It came out the little end of the inner boot though which seems a little strange, it should have come straight out the joint where the driveshaft meets the gearbox surely???

SurGie

There is no real need for any bar to prise it out if you have someone to gently wiggle the wheel about top to bottom of it whilst your pulling the wishbone down, give it a try.

Lan

There is no real need for any bar

its not needed but makes the job easier ;)

MiniGibbo

I did say above, in the end i just took the whole wishbone off..

That problem is solved, its the leak im trying to solve now :wacko:

chipstick

I just pop a 4 foot bar in between the back of the wishbone and the subframe and it pops the BJ out a piece of cake. Note: I use a 4 foot bar because it's either that a 12" one. I don't own anything inbetween :lol:

Paul_13

I just pop a 4 foot bar in between the back of the wishbone and the subframe and it pops the BJ out a piece of cake. Note: I use a 4 foot bar because it's either that a 12" one. I don't own anything inbetween :lol:

I do it like this, just push in on the hub when doing so. There's even a notch in the subframe to lock the bar in place :)

MiniGibbo

Where ive split the little rubber boot on the wishbone, can you replace them?

Liquid_106

They're available on eBay, not too sure on the quality / longevity, perhaps someone on here has used some?

SurGie

Iv bought some from ebay and could not fathom how to fit the larger metal loop with out damaging the wire or boot. So i got myself a roll of SS wire to keep them fitted, i could send you some if you need for a postage stamp, a roll of it ant cheap.

Iv not used them yet but they do feel a good quality boot IMO.

Edited by SurGie

MiniGibbo

Yeah Ill probably take you up on that offer dude the wishbone is fine I've just broken the boot so it'll be a shame to throw it away..

krypton

Yeah big bar between the lower controll and subframe from the back side does the trick. Had mine of that often they come out without to much effort

pug_ham

Use of to much force in the wrong way when removing the balljoint from the hub is the biggest reason why hubs get ovalled imo.

Best way is to clamp the springs so when the front end is jacked there is still plenty of give in the wishbone & base model arb so it comes out without working against the arb imo.

g

dcc

pull the hub towards you with a good bit of force, then gently tap the bottom arm, it will drop out with ease. Have done this with every single car and never had a problem.

pug_ham
pull the hub towards you with a good bit of force

This is what causes the hubs to go oval, you shouldn't need to give any sideways force, when done correctly it will just drop straight out with gentle leverage using a balljoint fork.

Pug have a special tool for this very task.

g

kyepan

or if you are weak like me - simply place a jack under the hub, usually minus the disc and then give the lower arm a light wiggle with suitable lever, and it pops out.