• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
spikster

Difference Between 205 1.9 And 306 Gti Front Hubs

spikster

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a 205 1.9 GTI hub and a 306GTI hub.

I have read you get more negative camber on the 306 hubs, but what do they look like, is one hollow and one solid?

Is there a big weight difference?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Daviewonder

You will end up with positive camber if you run 306 hub setup on a 205 afaik.

j_turnell

Yup give pos camber rather than neg!

pug_ham

A search would've brought up plenty of results with info about the use of 306 GTI hubs on a 205.

g

Baz

As above, but to clarify for future ref.;

306 hubs give positive cambver when mounted on a 205 with STANDARD running gear. If you have adjustable top mounts and/or bottom arms etc, they're fine because you can adjust them around the hub. eg. One of my cars runs around 2.5degrees -Neg camber with 306 hubs.

The hollow cast ones are also lighter than the 1.9 and others.

welshpug

Apparently they're not Baz, just stronger, should have one to hand at home to weigh.

brumster

I believe later 306 hubs have a different diameter on the bottom hole for the ball joint pin, so if you want them compatible with 205/309 bottom arms, you need to pick up an earlier set.

But otherwise yes, you get +ve camber by default, they are hollow cast and they have holes for ABS sensors. Without eccentric top mounts I had big troubles getting the suitable amount of -ve camber out of them - at the moment I have got 0.8deg negative, on adjustable Grp.A style arms and concentric top mounts. I'm looking to move back to standard hubs because I can't get any more negative without changing my top mounts (expensive) or extending out the bottom ball joint (risky).

Baz

Oh really Mei? Would be interesting to know fo' sho' actually! :)

I believe later 306 hubs have a different diameter on the bottom hole for the ball joint pin, so if you want them compatible with 205/309 bottom arms, you need to pick up an earlier set.

They do yes, 18mm instead of 16mm BJ pin holes.

SurGie

The 306 has the old style hub and the 'modified' hub, the latter one has the hole above the wheel bolt hole bearing area. My 306 GTi'6' phase 2 has the 16mm hubs that are the modified type, i dont know if the unmodified hub was made for the lesser models of 306 or not. I think the phase three all came with the 18mm ball joint hole which wont fit the 205/309 wishbones. The modified hub needs a different torque setting where the hub joins the strut.

spikster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys.

The reason I asked is on the front of my car the hubs appear to be hollow cast, and I picked up some 1.9GTI ones which are solid cast.

I changed the front wheel bearing on the drivers side, and noticed the back of the hub (the bit the drive shaft goes through) appeared worn. I.E the shaft where the bearing goes over was not the same width all the way down.

I did a track day at Rockingham, and found the front wheel has play in again, so assume the hub is no good.

My car has eccentric top mounts and rose jointed bottom arms, but needs a good geo setup. Ideally i want to run around 2.5 deg of negative camber

Is the hub wearing at the back a common fault on the 205's?

Baz, can I ask what set up you are running, what rear beam have you got? What front suspension do you run?

Thanks

Andy

Baz

Hi Andy, the car i was referring to has eccentric top mounts and fully RJ'd bottom arms, Leda ASA5 dampers all round with Gas emulsified upgrade, 309 rear beam with SBC Neg camber kit.

You mean the hub flange or the carrier/upright itself has worn?

spikster

Hi Baz,

Hub flange, where the internal diameter of the bearing pushes on to.

Can you still get the SBC Negative camber kit?

My car has Bilsteins all round, coil overs at front with 350lb springs, rose jointed bottom arms, eccentric top mounts, 309 rear axle with 23mm ARB standard 309 torsion bars.

Thanks

Andy

welshpug

sounds like someone has had a bearing seize and spin on that drive flange, doesn't take much to damage them

thankfully the drive flange is pretty common across the PSA ranges, nearly every 405 and 306 uses them, every 406 does, same wheel bearing.