• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

How Low Is My Car?

starky5

Ive had my 205 for a few months now and the previous owner rebuilt the beam a few years ago. Now im not sure but i think it is sitting lower than standard as the wheels don't sit central in the wheel arch. Is there an easy way of telling how much it has been lowered by because as soon as someone is in the back seat i end up with it rubbing over bumps.

Baz

Pictures needed!

Sounds as if maybe it is, or the beam's been rebuilt with the wrong mounts fitted.

starky5

Ill take some in the light tomorrow and post them up for all to judge!!

starky5

Right i had a measure up just now and took a couple pictures.

Both drivers side and passenger side measure the same with a 1cm gap between the tyre and rear bumper, a 5cm gap from the top of the tyre to the wheel trim and a 4cm gap from the front of the tyre to the arch. I took all these measurements with it facing up a very slight slope, its very hard to find level ground in Cornwall!!

Passenger Side

Drivers Side

Also i took a look at the front suspension and the driver side sits 1.5cm lower than the passenger side, im guessing this is a sign of tired springs?

Anthony

Now im not sure but i think it is sitting lower than standard as the wheels don't sit central in the wheel arch. Is there an easy way of telling how much it has been lowered by because as soon as someone is in the back seat i end up with it rubbing over bumps.

That looks to be sat a little higher than standard if anything - certainly it's not been lowered if that is representative of how it usually sits!

The wheels look to be sat far too far back in the arches though which is what's likely causing the rubbing.

starky5

Its sitting a bit higher than normal because of the slope next time i find some level ground ill have another measure. Yea under compression it rubs the rear of the arch you can see the rub marks

What could be causing the wheel to be sitting to far back if its not been lowered?

Edited by starky5

welshpug

if the beam has ever been off the front mountings could be on the wrong sides as 1.9 mounts are offset, also what tyres do you run?

could also need a rebuild.

starky5

if the beam has ever been off the front mountings could be on the wrong sides as 1.9 mounts are offset, also what tyres do you run?

could also need a rebuild.

The beam was supposedly rebuilt about 4 years ago by the previous owner so the mounts could well be wrong, i take it this would be easy to spot if i got under the car?

The tyres are yokohama pradas 195/50/15

starky5

After days of trying to get old of the previous owner he has just got back to me! Im told the rear beam is at standard height so im guessing he has put the mounts on the wrong way round. The springs on the front are mean to be -20mm but he did say they were cheap springs so i could probably do with changing them come payday!

Henry Yorke

I would say the mounts were on back to front too.