• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ross009

Swapping A 1.6 Beam For 1.9

ross009

whats involved in swapping a 1.6 beam for a 1.9 regarding the brake lines do the 1.9 beams have a load compensator? can the brake lines just be disconnected from my current drums then just put them into the calipers on the 1.9 beam or do i need to make up new lines? ive searched this a ton but cant fin the answer on here

cheers

jord294

the 1.6 has a sigle line to the rear iirc. so you could just put in a T piece if you want to use 1.9 calipers

imho, when the drum brakes are in good order, they are definatly more efficient than disc brakes on the rear

ORB

I concour, drums in my eyes are betterer!

ross009

the 1.6 has a sigle line to the rear iirc. so you could just put in a T piece if you want to use 1.9 calipers

imho, when the drum brakes are in good order, they are definatly more efficient than disc brakes on the rear

ok thanks mate no problems with heat when on track etc? you do reuilt beams dont you jord?

cheers

jord294

ok thanks mate no problems with heat when on track etc? you do reuilt beams dont you jord?

cheers

yes mate. pm me if you like

cheers

Baz

I concour, drums in my eyes are betterer!

+1billion.

They are more efficient, don't spit pads out leaving you with no brakes, or corrode ridiculously quickly when not used all the time... etc etc

They're just slightly harder to replace/service... only i don't think they are really if you're practised, & periods between maintenance isn't too long and you remove the lip on the drums the shoes have worn so the next time you remove them it's not so hard! -Just akin to rounded/seized disc retaining screws, seized caliper pistons, snapped caliper bleed nipples etc etc. Swings & roundabouts!

ross009

i see where your coming from prob just stick as i am then thanks for the replys guys!

Miles

If you do, No need for a T piece as they have one as standard or you would have braking on one rear wheel, The only thing you need to swap are the 2 rear solid lines from the damper bottom bolts to the calliper, Ignore the flex line if they have one as its not needed, All 06's and Renaults don;t use this

welshpug

cheaper wheel bearings on drums :)

allye

When I rebuilt the rallye I choose a 1.6 beam over a 1.9 one for the above reasons, I don't track my car so no need for a less effective hand brake! :lol:

Also I swear I read somewhere some rally cars actually swap to 1.6 beams for better hand brake turns?

Edited by allye

rallyeash

i'd personally rather have disc rears, yes hand brake is better on drums but for heat etc on track i would rather have discs, plus they look better than some s*itty drums :)

welshpug

s*itty drums slow down a 44t truck fine :P

Baz

Heat? The rears do FA compared to the fronts, on something as light as a 205 the rear is literally just braking to keep the car square, i doubt you'd ever tell the difference tbh!

Also I swear I read somewhere some rally cars actually swap to 1.6 beams for better hand brake turns?

Or vice-versa once you have a Hydraulic handbrake fitted.

pug_ham

To say you've done so many beams you don't appear to know the brake layout on the 1.6 GTI.

It already has a T piece splitting the rear single line to feed the rear drums, just above the beam behind the tank so no changes are needed to the brake pipes other than the radius arm but even then you can use solid pipes all the way to the rear caliper just like peugeot did on the 306 etc later on.

g

jord294

To say you've done so many beams you don't appear to know the brake layout on the 1.6 GTI.

It already has a T piece splitting the rear single line to feed the rear drums, just above the beam behind the tank so no changes are needed to the brake pipes other than the radius arm but even then you can use solid pipes all the way to the rear caliper just like peugeot did on the 306 etc later on.

g

fyi, what beams i have fitted to a 205 gti have always been 1.9

i've never been fetched a 1.6 205 to swap axles on

majority of beams that come to me are already off the car, and it's a simple px :P