• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
turna123

Panel Fitting/gaps Etc

turna123

Hi guys, just some advice please. I crashed my car about a year or so ago, and its been off road since. It wasnt a very big shunt, but naturally enough to write it off, so i didn't claim. I have had everything stripped off, and put back on. I am missing a few bits, including correct bumper fitting kit, trim fitting, clips for headlights to stay in correct place etc. BUT, i have had the major bits done, and wing/bonnet etc put back on. The only problem is, there is now sum panel gaps :( The wing was to be expected as it isnt genuine, so I'll have to live with it. But the major bit is the bonnet sitting flush, sitting proud in different places etc. I think the hinges are bent, which naturaly won't be helping anything, but its still not sitting flat against lights etc. It looks to say the least rediculous! Someone said do the hinges and keep opening and shutting the bonnet and it should hopefully settle more....? They also said the bonnet catch (the spring bit on the bonnet) can be "wound up" to draw the bonnet closer to the slam panel....? Does this sound appropriate, or is there anything else that can be done, suggested, and or can bonnet pins just draw down the last bit of the panel gap? Thanks alot guys, much appreciated :)

Tom Fenton

A picture will help. But usually the bonnet can be made to fit reasonably well. Unlike the pattern wings as you've found out, with the big gap at the top of the door.

turna123

Just think about it as bad as u can possibly think haha. Problem is, it hasn't been on a proper jig and that...just been done as good as can be for relativley cheap by eye. The wing fits as good as to be expected lol, exactly as you have said. Its mainly the lights and the bonnet fitting to them. How can the bonnet be adjusted then? Thanks alot :)

johnnyboy666

Hinges can cause a few problems as the fitting holes are sloted (IIRC) but this does give you some degree of adjustment. Best bet would probably be replace the hinges, then bolt it up finger tight, shut the bonnet into the position you want it then carefuly lift it up and do the bolts up fully.

Or use the excuse to get a grp/carbon bonnet and use pins :ph34r:

turna123

hahahaha thats exactly what i was thinking :P !!! Think i may replaces hinges, see how it goes, and then get a carbon bonnet :P ! How much are we talking, and from where? Like i say, this is going to be a second car for fun and track, no need for perfection...but nice looking would be lovley! x

matt.f

I'd make sure the front end is square first by cross checking with a tape measure.

Eg-measure from back bolt of n/s/f wing to front bolt of o/s/f wing.

Not a good idea trying to align a front end up with bent hinges.205's have crap panel gaps anyway,wing to bonnet gaps are always big

Edited by matt.f

johnnyboy666

GRP bonnets your probably looking at £100 upwards, carbon probably double or tripple that depending on where you get it from

turna123

Hi matt.f, appreciate the feedback. The major problem i have is other people doing the work, people that know much more than i do. He claims its as straight as he can get it, so shall i put on new straight hinges on, see how it lines up and see what the situation is? Will it be easy to make the bonnet sit lower/flatter? I'm hopeing a combination of all of this would make it far better? Can i put bonnet pins on to draw down the bonnet that last bit? And a few questions please, where is the best place to look at a carbon/'grp' bonnet (which i asume is fibreglass? ) Thanks alot guys

matt.f

You don't usually use a bonnet catch with bonnet pins(rallycars anyway),not a good idea if it's a road car or parked outside as people can obviously open it.Can be done though but not really ideal as something is wrong somewhere else.

If you think the hinges are bent I'd get some new ones and go from there mate.

turna123

ye defo mate, ill do that then! I'll do that first and see how it goes :) thanks