• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sport1901966

What Lower Column/uj Have I Bought?

sport1901966

Hi all, I'm hoping with the aid of a picture those that know may enlighten me!

I have just bought a lower column from eBay shown at the bottom of the following pic, it was sold as being for a 205/309 square drive rack. I received it today but it appears too long. The purpose of buying it is to fit a VTS rack.

I have placed it next to the lower column that came with the VTS rack which I experimented with - apparently cutting and grinding them down to fit in the 205 leaves them paper thin, I had a go at building up the material with the welder but there wasn't a chance in hell, I then had a go at deforming it (it was already scrap) and it was very easy due to the remaining thickness after grinding.

Anyway I digress - basically the column I have bought seems much longer than the cut down VTS column, which I suspect means it is not going to fit unless I am missing something?

205Columns.jpg

I have also added pics of the splined and square drive lower columns that Spoox Motorsport sell, these aren't to scale so cant be used to judge length but the square drive does have minor differences to the one I have bought.

Is the 205 Square drive column as long as the ebay one in my picture indicates (even better does anyone have the expected dimensions of it?) or do I have the wrong one?

Geoff

Edited by sport1901966

welshpug

Needs to be a PAS square drive, non pas will be longer.

sport1901966

This is where I get confused - I was reading this Thread, where posts #28 to #30 suggest that it should be the non-PAS square drive column and that there is no such thing as a PAS square drive column

Edited by sport1901966

Miles

Very true, I know everyone keeps going on about it but I've yet to see one too

sport1901966

It seems that, assuming it was from a 205 as the advert said, the column I have bought must be correct. I only ask as I don't really fancy getting to the point where I find it doesn't fit, having removed the old rack and column and fitted the new rack. If anyone has any insight it would be very much appreciated, specifically as to whether the column I have is the one I want.

Geoff

Anthony

It is a 205 NON-PAS square drive lower column that you need.

That is what I have fitted on my '92 GTi, taken from the original non-PAS rack that was on the car, and fitted completely unmodified straight onto the Xsara VTS rack. It does sit further up into the upper column, but there's enough clearance that it fits and works perfectly.

The one in your photo looks about right from memory - it's not the best picture, but you can see my non-PAS UJ fitted to the VTS rack in this photo prior to me fitting it to the car.

sport1901966

It does look similar, even down to the pronged metal clip at the bottom. Thanks for that, I can start the job with some confidence I'll be able to finish it now!

Baz

Fatony and i have also done this recently just to back it up again! So yep, NON-PAS square drive! :P So the ebay one you have looks right to me.

fatony1

Beat me to it Baz! What you've bought is correct, fitting mine tomorrow if all goes well! :)

johnnyboy666

a bit of thread dredging here! but does anybody have a part number for the mythical non-pas square lower uj ?? or a link to somehwere I can get one? cant see them on gsf/ecp etc

cheers

welshpug

It's not mythical, its a standard later 205 part afaik.

the only part number shown on SB for this part is 4103 A8, it specifies that its 55mm from the lower clamp bolt to the pivot, same measurement specified for a PAS model but different part number.

part number for earlier cars is 4103 96, I believe the changeover is 30 september 89.

earlier cars have an M7 thread on the clamp bolt, later is M8.

4103 A8 is £67+vat from a pug dealer if they have any left.

Edited by welshpug

johnnyboy666

cheers lads, any idea how much they are from pug? I'll put up a wanted add shortly

welshpug

see my post.

Tom Fenton

You can dismantle the joints and fit the shorter clamp piece from the Xsara/306 PAS rack, to the 205 long column piece.

johnnyboy666

probably should have checked this out before buying the rack :P cool, I'll have a look at the rack against the old one when it arrives so I can get a better idea of the situation.

so do most phase 2s have the bit I need or is it only gtis?

Stephen W

I bought mine direct from Peugeot £86.

chipstick

Are the GTi6 lower columns the same as VTS ones?

Tom Fenton

Are the GTi6 lower columns the same as VTS ones?

Yes.

chipstick

Winner. Noticed 2 GTi6 racks in my scrap pile earlier. I'l whip them off.

johnnyboy666

I bought mine direct from Peugeot £86.

thats more than I payed for the rack and postage!

damn my impulse buys! but the bus like steering on the GT does my nut in so would be nice to sort it.

Stephen W

I know! Couldn't believe it when I ordered it but at least I know it's an original one and as I'm keeping the car a long time it's kind of worth it.

Some prices are just criminal now.

Paul_13

Square drive PAS does exist

HERMAN

Does anybody know the part number for the square drive pinch bolt?

Cheers

Neil

johnnyboy666

good question, I need one of those!