• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Shu

Rear-Drum Auto-Adjuster Problem

Jonny Shu

Hi,

Recently, I discovered I had to replace the handbrake cables on the car so set about pulling the drums apart to give them a good clean too. New springs and retaining clips purchased and it's looking quite neat and shiny inside, and a new handbrake cable which seems to run far far better than the totally shot old one :)

However...when coming to adjust the shoes as per the general advice I have searched for on here (manually adjusting the auto-adjusters so that the shoes will just bite), I have found that the splined wheel will not turn unless considerable force is used :S ! I have, I think, reassembled the drum properly, so can't quite figure out what I may have done wrong here and why the adjustment wheels aren't moving freely as I suspect they should.

Can anyone offer any explanations for this, or have I not provided enough of a description for people to understand what's happening?

Cheers,

Jonny

Tom Fenton

Have you stripped, cleaned, greased the adjuster wheel on its threads?

If not I would try this first, the threads get stiff over time.

Jonny Shu

I haven't re-greased but the threads were clean and the wheel ran freely when the auto-adjust bar/barrel adjuster were taken off the back-plate. That was the first thing I thought of but I didn't think it would make such a vast difference. That'll be job number 1 when I get home then!

jord294

have you got the right adjuster on the correct side of the car ?

erbs

i always found these to never really work that well on my old 1.6 i was forever manually adjusting them

Edited by erbs

Jonny Shu

have you got the right adjuster on the correct side of the car ?

Yeah definitely not swapped them!

marksorrento205

With the tension of the springs there is some resistance ( not loads ). How tight are they to turn? Are you adjusting them with the drum off or through one of the wheel bolt holes with a little screwdriver or like?

Jonny Shu

There is LOADS of resistance...I am yet to regrease however. I am trying to adjust them without having put the drums back on, with them open on the backplate.

Cheers

marksorrento205

Well they should be a piece of piss to adjust like that :(

Pugmanian Devil

There is LOADS of resistance...I am yet to regrease however. I am trying to adjust them without having put the drums back on, with them open on the backplate.

Cheers

The best way to adjust them is put the drums on, line up one of the bolt hole's on the drum so that you can see/get to the adjuster with a flat blade screw driver. Get someone to press the brake pedal which will take the load off the adjust from the wheel cylinder pushing the shoe's out, the adjuster at this point will move freely with no resistance (just like it moved when you had it disasembled)

Hope this helps

-T

Jonny Shu

Thanks for the advice Pugmanian Devil, it has all been sorted now thanks, auto-adjusters are right (I think), and handbrake works a treat :)

Cheers