• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Shu

Pinning Back Seat Covers?

Jonny Shu

Hello there,

As seems a common problem with many of the 205 seats, the material on the middle section of the seat (not the bolsters, or on backrest) has pulled forwards...is there a simple quick-fix to pin them back underneath the backrest or is this a more complicated repair and only worth doing if redoing the whole seat?

Thanks,

Jonny

dch1950

Hi,

I take it you mean "Pinning back seat covers" as this particular problem doesn't happen on the rear seats very often ^_^ .

The insert of the front seat cushion is held in place by 3 direct methods.

1. a full width cloth retaining section with a wire insert - used to tension the seat by wrapping round the back of the seat frame and being hog ringed in place.

2. a linen strip listing - hog ringed to an embedded wire in the seat foam - the back fixing

and finally

3. a velcro hook/loop fixing for the front.

see piccy.

If, as I suspect the cloth attachment listing has seperated from the actual insert, then you must remove the cover to re-sew the seam or replace/re sew depending on how badly degraded the fabric is.

it may also be a case of the wired back listing having seperated as well.

You really need to remove the seat cover to perform the best (and by implication longer lasting) repair.

hope this is is of assistance.

regards

Dave

Jonny Shu

Thanks for the reply! It seems that it is a bit more complicated a job than I had previously hoped, so for the time being I think it will have to stay as is... :(

Cheers again,

Jonny

GLPoomobile

I removed my old Ph2 half leathers a few years back due to a broken seat frame and the bolsters needing to be repaired. From what little I can remember of that, and from my assumption of what you are describing, I don't think it should actually be that hard to fix, so don't be put off. In fact, one might say "it's not rocket science" (sorry Dave, it's just tooooo easy :P ).

From what I can remember, the flap of fabric (shown in the right of Dave's picture) goes through the gap between the seat base and the back rest, and it then wraps around part of the seat frame before being held to the bottom of the frame under the seat base (by hog rings IIRC, but I'm sure Dave will correct me if I'm wrong).

Get the seat out of the car, flip it upside down and take a look. It should be fairly simple to fasten the fabric back in place if it's pulled away from there. Hell, you could even just use some cable ties (There's not a thing they can't fix on a 205!) ;)

Jonny Shu

Thanks for the advice, it's helpful stuff! I will try and remember to take a picture tomorrow and upload it so I can show you exactly what I mean!

Cheers,

Jonny

Tom Fenton

As above, what tends to happen is that the cloth material that wraps around and holds the centre insert tight degrades and basically falls to pieces.

I had the drivers seat in my red 205 repaired by having the local car trimmer replace this material and re-hog ringing it to tension. He used a piece of black vinyl which you cannot see anyway, and will probably outlast cloth.

dch1950

I removed my old Ph2 half leathers a few years back due to a broken seat frame and the bolsters needing to be repaired. From what little I can remember of that, and from my assumption of what you are describing, I don't think it should actually be that hard to fix, so don't be put off. In fact, one might say "it's not rocket science" (sorry Dave, it's just tooooo easy :P ).

From what I can remember, the flap of fabric (shown in the right of Dave's picture) goes through the gap between the seat base and the back rest, and it then wraps around part of the seat frame before being held to the bottom of the frame under the seat base (by hog rings IIRC, but I'm sure Dave will correct me if I'm wrong).

Get the seat out of the car, flip it upside down and take a look. It should be fairly simple to fasten the fabric back in place if it's pulled away from there. Hell, you could even just use some cable ties (There's not a thing they can't fix on a 205!) ;)

you are so predictable - where did I say it was difficult. An accurate presentation of the details was what was posted.

Dave

Tesstuff

you are so predictable - where did I say it was difficult. An accurate presentation of the details was what was posted.

Dave

Haha, no Dave, you biting is so predictable :lol:

Can you not deal with Poo yet? Just keep telling him he can't spell 'definitely' and you will see all his toys come out the pram :D

Back on topic, I also used a local car upholstery place to refurb quite a few 205 seats and they put in some black vinyl to replace the thin material that can rip in the part you can't see but is needed to keep it looking nice. They only charged me £20 for that on top off the price of redoing stitching and leather repair work, so possibly if you find someone local they would sort your seats for a reasonable price.

You should do some local research and get some quotes, you may well be surprised. :)

dch1950

Haha, no Dave, you biting is so predictable :lol:

Can you not deal with Poo yet? Just keep telling him he can't spell 'definitely' and you will see all his toys come out the pram :D

Back on topic, I also used a local car upholstery place to refurb quite a few 205 seats and they put in some black vinyl to replace the thin material that can rip in the part you can't see but is needed to keep it looking nice. They only charged me £20 for that on top off the price of redoing stitching and leather repair work, so possibly if you find someone local they would sort your seats for a reasonable price.

You should do some local research and get some quotes, you may well be surprised. :)

I don't wish to deal with "Poo" as you call him. If every time a make a post I can expect him to chime in then quite rightly I will react. Check out his posting stats. I think it's Mr Shu needs your advice - not me thanx.

Do you not recall our conversations last summer - I do.

Dave

Tesstuff

I don't wish to deal with "Poo" as you call him. If every time a make a post I can expect him to chime in then quite rightly I will react. Check out his posting stats. I think it's Mr Shu needs your advice - not me thanx.

Do you not recall our conversations last summer - I do.

Dave

My advice was for Mr Shu, why would I be telling that to you? I wouldn't :rolleyes:

Life is too short for festering over past conversations appropriate at the time but which mean absolutely nothing now :D

GLPoomobile

Thanks for the PM this morning Dave, it really brightened up the wet and gloomy bus journey for me :) . It was like starting the day with a nice warm forum hug, made me feel wanted, made me feel secure. Mmmmmmmm. Oooooo I’m getting a warm tingle run right through me now, just knowing that you were thinking of me in the wee small hours :wub: . Is that how he makes you feel too, Daz? I see you two have a nice little thing going on there.

Now, the topic. Yes, where were we? Oh yeah, seat covers. Now then, it rather looks like Dave – who has become a bit of expert in this field lately – doesn’t take too kindly to anyone else “chiming in” with advice that may differs to his. Or is it just me Dave? Is it personal? There’s that warm tingle again. Mmmmmmmm :wub:

You’re a little bit pedantic Dave, aren’t you? That’s not a criticism, far from it, as it’s clearly stood you in good stead when it comes to getting the best from your seat covers and bolster foams. No, if I wanted to be critical, I’d say that you’re probably a little lacking in the humour department ;) . But, back to the pedantry. You asked “where did I say it was difficult” (well you didn’t ask actually, you made a statement). You didn’t say it was difficult, did you? But what you did do was inadvertently present a potentially simple problem as being quite dramatic. I’m clearly not alone in thinking that, as Mr Shu replied “It seems that it is a bit more complicated a job than I had previously hoped”.

It’s a bit like telling someone with a blown head gasket that they need to remove the engine from the car and do a full rebuild.

My reply on the other hand, whilst admittedly not without its faults (you don’t have to remove the seat have a peek underneath), presented a simpler option to repair. Hopefully Mr Shu would take my reply on board and think “you know what, I’ll take a wee peek under the seat and see if I can at least do something to make it a little better”. See, it’s all about a little bit of balance Dave.

Anyway, hopefully Mr Shu will take all the advice on board and will be able to fix his seat, and hopefully you will find a little bit of humour one day Dave. You don’t have to laugh at me, I wouldn’t expect you to, but a little bit of humility can make life so much more bearable Dave.

Keep it clean

Steve

dch1950

My advice was for Mr Shu, why would I be telling that to you? I wouldn't :rolleyes:

Life is too short for festering over past conversations appropriate at the time but which mean absolutely nothing now :D

Well as you have raised the topic , Festering - get over yourself Darren.

Dave

Richie

I'm amused by this thread, didn't expect the drama that ensued. 10/10, i'll be reading this thread to my grandchildren.

allye

when I replaces my boulster I had to take out the pins that you could reuse to pin the cloth back nice and tight.

My drivers seat also suffers from the base bit of material coming away from the rear of the seat where the back rest meets the base. I'm going to use these clips to pin it back under the seat.

That is all, a answer, possible solution, not long winded or bitchy! Whats going on here recently? :wacko:

alphacharlie

I'm suffering the same issue with my drivers seat (the unseen fabric separating from the seat cushion) so took it down to my local upholsterer today for a repair quote, minimum £60 so I didn't leave it

AC!!

Chris_Mi

wtf??????

I thought Dave's response was informative. He even bothered to take a picture to try and be of assistance.

I don't get the forum recently. Is it something to do with lunar cycles??

GLPoomobile

Dave's response was informative. His subsequent PM to me and replies on here showed up rather a different attitude though. Just because I made a gag (twice. Yes, just twice) about "it's not rocket science" after he posted about that in the Silly Things topic. I'll know not to bother pulling his pecker in future.

Wonder if the OP is going to come back and tell us how he got on, or if we scared him off :mellow:

Edited by GLPoomobile

Jonny Shu

I'm baaackkk!

Been away for a few days and have also been working on the handbrake and rear drums, as they seem a tad more important to the running of the car than my aesthetic whims!

I didn't intend for my post to open up into a bickering match :P Just wanted some opinions and helpful advice to gauge how hard and how much time and money it would cost me to make my seat look neat and tidy!

Sifting through the personal banter, there are a few helpful tips and bits of advice so when I've finished the mechanical bits I'm working on, I will take a look at the underside of the seat and have a think, thanks for the advice people.

Cheers,

Jonny