• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peakrevs

I'm Looking For A Firm To Repair My Lhd Steering Rack

peakrevs

There is a lot of play in the bushes or cups, whatever they are at the inboard end of the track rods. The problem is that it is a LHD rack so I can't just get a replacement off the shelf.

Any helpful suggestions to rectify the problem would be appreciated

Thank you

John

Tom Fenton

Hi John.

You can replace the track rods- they are not expensive, roughly £15 each side last time I bought any.

The only other thing that really wears is the bush at the opposite end of the rack to the pinion, again this can be bought from AB Motorsport and replaced.

Tom Fenton

Yes, but the Peugeot one is made of cheese, so the AB or similar is the one I would pick, in fact saying that I'd get some PB and make one on the lathe, so as not to have to go back to the job...

peakrevs

Welshpug and Tom, thank you for your replies. Just to confirm that we are talking about the same bit. With the rack on the car and track rod ends connected you can pull the track rod upwards near the rubber gaiter and feel movement and get a clonk. It was an advisory on the MOT. Pulling back the gaiter, its not obvious to me how the track rod comes off. Once that is off I can ceheck to see which part is worn.

Thank you for your help

regards

John

Tom Fenton

Sounds like the bush is at fault. The track rods themselves are retained with a strange lock washer arrangement, can be removed with a pair of Stilsons.

peakrevs

Sounds like the bush is at fault. The track rods themselves are retained with a strange lock washer arrangement, can be removed with a pair of Stilsons.

Thank you Tom, I'll see if I can get the joint apart and I'll get back to you once I have.

cheers

John

philfingers

drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a guide i did for stripping down the rack.

Phil