• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

So What Am I Likely To Have Bent?! Cti

lagonda

Avoiding some berk, I clipped a kerb. Fortunately at no great speed, but the tyre is badly holed. I'm hoping the rim isn't buckled..it seems OK, but will obviously stick it back on the hub to check properly.

I'm concerned though that the steering wheel no longer centres properly..to go straight on, the wheel has to be turned slightly left. So obviously I've bent something...what's it likely to be? Remember this is a CTi so has base model suspension. I'm thinking there's not much to keep things straight, so am wondering if the suspension arm ball joint pin is likely to have bent....or is something else more likely to have distorted? Really annoyed about this as I set the tracking with a friend's gauge back in England a couple of years ago, and my tyres had been wearing nice & evenly, up till now!

Henry Yorke

I would just get it retracked and go from there. I would be surprised if you have bent a track control arm, but these are relatively cheap and worth replacing anyway if not done recently. You'd need to get it tracked anyway after doing those, so it may be an opportunity

Toddy

Avoiding some berk, I clipped a kerb. Fortunately at no great speed, but the tyre is badly holed. I'm hoping the rim isn't buckled..it seems OK, but will obviously stick it back on the hub to check properly.

I'm concerned though that the steering wheel no longer centres properly..to go straight on, the wheel has to be turned slightly left. So obviously I've bent something...what's it likely to be? Remember this is a CTi so has base model suspension. I'm thinking there's not much to keep things straight, so am wondering if the suspension arm ball joint pin is likely to have bent....or is something else more likely to have distorted? Really annoyed about this as I set the tracking with a friend's gauge back in England a couple of years ago, and my tyres had been wearing nice & evenly, up till now!

Check the anti roll bar mounting plates near the bulkhead, also check the TCA.

lagonda

Many thanks. By track control arm, I take it you mean the suspension arm, ie the part with the steering swivel ball pin on the end, that bolts to the hub mounting?

I replaced the o/s one a couple of years ago, the n/s one ball pin is (was!) fine, but the rubber bushing where the anti-roll bar bolts through is pretty shot, so replacing it would be worthwhile anyway.

Paul_13

When I hit a kerb in the snow, the tie bar move over in its mount by an inch. Worth checking its central

trogboy

I agree with Paul and Toddy in that you have probably pushed the anti-roll bar across.

When I walloped a kerb in my old junior I actually bent it as well as pushing it right across. There is a tie bar that located the anti-roll bar on the subframe which is held to the ARB by a clamp. If you've pushed yours across you should be able to see scrape marks on the bar where it has been pushed through.

Ad

lagonda

Hmm, no, hadn't thought of that, will check as well.