• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Iain-gti

Rear Beam Outer Bearing

Iain-gti

Hi,

Currently rebuilding my rear beam, I have removed the cage and rollers but cant seem to budge the case of the bearing. Is there a knack of doing it??

Regards

Iain

welshpug

sharp chisel and fold it in on itself :)

Tom Fenton

They are quite tough. I usually carefully arc through the outer casing with the TIG now, doing this carefully you can remove it without any scores or divots out of the beam end casting.

Iain-gti

Which bit do i hit sorry welsh, looks like pretty strong stuff!!!

Thanks

Iain-gti

Which bit do i hit sorry welsh, Around the inside edge? Looks like pretty strong stuff!!!

Thanks

SurGie

Check out my project beam thread, there should be some clear pics of the very edge of the beam tube, the bearings have a thick metal sleeve, then on top of that are the bearings rollers. My bearing rollers came out easy, but there was rust around them. If your careful you wont make any indentation around the edge, a little bit of one wont hurt, there is plenty of bearing surface inside the beam.

Daviewonder

Tap round between the bearing case and beam tube using a hammer and flat head screwdriver. Do it in a clockwise motion and do it every few MM's, it should gradually come loose.

SurGie
HERE is the thread, second post down shows the edge of the beam nice and clear :)