• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris_Mi

Front Bumper Bracket

Chris_Mi

Stupid question, needing quick answer :unsure:

I'm making my Miami minty! So the engine compartment has been to the sprayers. Unfortunately, the spray shop took off the front bumper brackets, and I can't for the life of me fathom how to access the inner arch to reattach the bolt for the bracket in there.

Bracket which sticks out of here

post-11764-0-34397800-1318328889_thumb.jpg

Plus, on removing the lower plastic cam belt/engine plastic protector thing (attached behind wheel in offside arch, near that metal water pipe that always rots) the bolts have sheered in the arch. I can drill and tap some new threads, but am worried that the drilled out bits will fall in to the inner wing, rattling around for ever more. Again, can these bolt holes be accessed from inside the inner arch?

Hope this makes sense because I'm doing some real head scratching!

welshpug

through the wheelarch for the bumper brackets, just a nut over the stud that sticks out of the hole :)

as for the inserts for the guard+pipe just go easy drilling and you'll be fine, if they do come loose wave a magnet on a stick down the chassis leg from the front and you can easily fit new ones (called rivnuts)

Chris_Mi

Thanks Welshpug ;)

For anybody who didn't know about Rivnuts (like me :blush: ) there is good detail here:

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod4.asp?cat=2250000415

Quick Q. Are the Rivnuts installed from the outside of the inner wing, ie. do you just push them in from the outside (i.e. not needing to reach behind the inner arch)? Also, are they just installed with a normal 'pop' rivet hand tool, or is a special tool required?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

welshpug

yep, installed from the outside, you need a rivnut tool of some sort, there are a few types, you can install alloy ones with a bolt washer and nut.

chipstick

I sheared off my 'rivnut' fixing (didn't know they had a fancy name. Just thought it was a captive nut).

I ground it out, and then drilled through for a SS M8 bolt about 55-60mm long to go through with a penny washer. Does the job and will last.

There is a hole under the chassis leg that allows you to gt your finger or a magnet in to collect the remnants after.

I didn't realise there as a cover for this area. I need to get one. I'm worried about the amount of crud that is going to get flicked up at the crank pulley

Edited by chipstick

Chris_Mi

I didn't realise there as a cover for this area. I need to get one. I'm worried about the amount of crud that is going to get flicked up at the crank pulley

Chipstick,

The cover sort of covers the area below the inner arch. IIRC it attaches to where the metal water pipe that always corrodes attaches, and has a plastic leg which connects to (I think) the subframe to stop it rattling about.

All of the above has the caveat "I think" - it has been a while since I removed it :lol:

Pictures here:

post-11764-0-78162600-1318341782_thumb.jpg

post-11764-0-87097900-1318341828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chris_Mi

SurGie

That link explains 'what is a riv nut' yet no pictures of a riv-nut :wacko:

Edited by SurGie
  • Like 1

Chris_Mi

That link explains 'what is a riv nut' yet no pictures of a riv-nut :wacko:

For you Surgie ;)

post-11764-0-77231200-1318342957_thumb.jpg

SurGie

Cheers, they look good quality and no need to weld or mess about just fit and forget.