• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Caliper Replacement

johnhenry

MOrning all

just looked at 4 new calipers, looked scary prices.

I was wondering if there are viable alternatives, to do the job well, not after extra stopping power, but a good value alternative. Direct fit/no major work required would be a huge plus!

wont be doing anything on her for a while, cars sat in a a friends lockup awaiting my return from uni.

To summarise; Replace all 4 calipers

No fabrication required - unless there is an 'off the shelf' part that will make it easy (sorry too tired to cope with major jobs)

Fairly cheap - by cheap i mean good value

possibly a more modern caliper? - would be better for the future when it comes to maintenance

Cheers

John

sport1901966

Rebuilding calipers is fairly easy (says someone who hasn't actually done it :rolleyes: ). Unless your bleed screws are siezed, that may be a much more cost effective option. You could have the calipers/pistons etc professionally cleaned, that way you would end up with effectively new calipers.

Edited by sport1901966

allye

As above!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTi-Brake-Caliper-repair-seal-Kit-4836-/310340990924?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4841c3b7cc

I rebuilt my calipers receently and its really easy, you could even get them all sand blasted and powder coated then they really would be brand new.

johnhenry

thanks guys - although the bleed nipples have all seized and sheered when trying to get them off :/ new calipers it is by the sounds of it :/

EdCherry

Drill the nipples out?

marksorrento205

^ As per above. However if your not happy and confindent refurbing them yourself, dont! Its your brakes at the end of the day.

What do you call scary prices? Do they have to be brand new or reconditioned? I use these Clicky for a lot of parts as they are very reasonable, have a massive stock on shelf, only 20 mins up the road from me and there is a belting greasy spoon very near by :) They do next day postage too.

Edited by marksorrento205

harryskid

Going quick don't come cheap and stopping quick does not either! :)

johnhenry

thanks mark sorento - they look really good - i shall give them a call see what the deal is over the next few days.

£100+ per corner. which i know isnt too painful considering they are stopping the car, which is kind of important. but when i replaced all 4 calipers just over a year ago (hence my frustration) rears were half that from gsf and the fronts werent much more, the only thing that caught me out were sur charges - and the prices displayed dont include them!

I was thinking of maybe 2 or 3 06/7/8/9? (is there a 209 now?) caliper replacement if there was any that were a direct fit, purely because - there would be a more real demand for from from motor factors etc etc.

Going quick don't come cheap and stopping quick does not either! :)

absolutely! just trying not to commit school boy errors any more - the wallet cannot cope!

ive never drilled out a bleed nipple before - i assume its a left handed reverse bit - pretty fine and just take it slow?

would using a heat gun/blow torch help before doing this? along with some penetration fluid? - it would be the most cost effective option, as the calipers are 13 months old...dont need rebuilding and seem to do a good job!

Cheers

John

sport1901966

I'd like to hear from someone who has managed to drill out a sheared bleed nipple. I've never been successful with the reverse drill bits, they always snap before the bleed nipple starts unscrewing!

welshpug

never used the reverse drill bit, just a normal one then sometimes an easy out.

if you need bits brake parts international's prices look good, full rear rebuild kit (less piston) £38, R caliper £67. Bleed nipple £1.42.

Ft caliper £54, Service Kit £14, fitting kit £13, bleed nipple £1.42.

Edited by welshpug

GLPoomobile

Rebuilding calipers is fairly easy (says someone who hasn't actually done it :rolleyes: ). Unless your bleed screws are siezed, that may be a much more cost effective option. You could have the calipers/pistons etc professionally cleaned, that way you would end up with effectively new calipers.

It depends on the caliper.

The only time I've done it was my set of 306 calipers (think they are Lucas from an S16, but can't really remember). The problems that I had were getting the pistons out - people recommend using an air line or a foot pump, but I had nothing that I could use to adapt the pump on to it - and the biggest problem was fitting the new piston seals. I found this a huge faff on these calipers. The shape of them made it impossible for me to get the seal in to position at one particular point, so if you imagine the seal being like a clock face, it was in position for 11 out of 12 hours, with the 12th hour sticking out slightly. I'm ashamed to say it, but I gave up and left them as they were, but they never leaked :ph34r:

That experience put me off doing this again. I'm sure other people have rebuilt other calipers that have been easier, and so they see it as an easy job.

EDIT: I've just found my old topic and it was the dust seal I struggled with. So no risk of leaking, but the possibility of dirt ingress damaging the piston/cylinder. I've not done much mileage on them prior to it being SORNed, and I'm going to go back to standard 1.9 calipers when I eventually get it back on the road.

Bloody dust seals!

Edited by GLPoomobile